Please sign in to post.

northenr Italy trip summer 2011

Heading back to Europe for the 3rd time. This trip we hope to go to No. Italy. Looking at 2 weeks. Looking for a common sense itinerary and approx. time to spend in each location. Fly into Milan. get car and drive to lake Como (Verenna), drive to Dolomites (Castelrotto), on to Venice, then FLorence, drive to Cinque terre, drive back to Milan. ??? Does this make sense. Do we not go any further south? How far is Florence from Sienna or Assisi? Should we skip Milan sights altogether ( I heard that Milan is not worth our time). ANy other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rick

Posted by
304 posts

We too are talking about our 3rd trip to Italy next summer. But why drive? We considered it this time, but decided against it. I think you insulate yourself from the real Italy by doing the American thing...driving. I have met the most wonderful people on the trains. To me Italy's transit system is so convenient. I don't want the hassle and expense of a car.

Posted by
87 posts

Ciao Richard,

My family and I did almost the exact route in 2008, and we had a fantastic experience.
We flew into Linate, where its a short 15-20 minute taxi ride to our hotel near the Duomo. We love Milano, and will miss it on our forthcoming trip this fall. The Duomo is one of the most magnificent in all of Europe, and of course viewing the Last Supper is a life experience.
I like driving in Italy. We drove to Varenna and based out of the town for about a week. With a car, you can hop on a ferry and go anywhere without the concerns of bus schedules. Its the essence of adventure.
From Varenna, we drove into Switzerland past Saint Moritz, dipping into Austria for about 10 minutes and then back into Italia. We stayed in the wonderful little town of Glorenza. Not alot of English (American English) spoken here, and we didnt see the omnipresent RS blue book as so commonly found in more touristed areas. Passo Stelvio is nearby and is worth a drive for a breath taking thrill.
From Glorenza we drove to Castelrotto and finished our trip in Venezia.

I would suggest the green Michelin Italia map book, a GPS and a sense of humor and adventure.

Cordiali Saluti,
David

Posted by
475 posts

This is our itinerary for 3 weeks this fall :
Fly into Milan (We love Milan and agree about seeing The Duomo and Last Supper)(1 night), train to Varenna/Lake Como (2 nights), train to Venice (4 nights), train to Florence (2 nights) then picking up a car for one week in Tuscany. Train to CT (3 nights) and then back to Milan for last night.
We decided against car for all but Tuscany as it is easier/less expensive to travel by train everywhere else.
Good luck!

Posted by
15585 posts

I haven't been to Lake Como or the Dolomites. Everywhere else is as easy or easier by train than by car. You will have to leave the car on the mainland and train into Venice anyway. Much of the center of Florence (Siena too) is a no-driving zone (with very stiff fines). The CT towns are very difficult to drive in (hills steeper than San Francisco) and you will either walk or train between the towns during your stay anyway.

Unless you are really really excited about seeing the Last Supper, pass on it. Consider that it is expensive, you will have about 15 minutes to view it, and it will take a couple of hours. The Duomo is a wow, especially if you include a walk on the roof. There are some other worthwhile sights, but better ones in your other destinations.

Do consider a stop in Verona for a day or two. It is one of the loveliest towns in Northern Italy, and completely different from the others on your itinerary. My first visit there was on the way to Venice, left my luggage at the train station and spent the day.

Siena is an easy day trip (about an hour by bus) from Florence and well worth it. Assisi is off-the-beaten-track.

Posted by
3250 posts

I agree with Chani that Verona is a great destination--I would consider substituting Verona for Milan. Bologna is another city that we really enjoyed for a less-touristy Northern Italian experience.

Overall, I think that your proposed itinerary is great--2 or 3 nights in each location. You could see Siena as a day trip from Florence or vice-versa.

Posted by
850 posts

I would definitely use a car to drive in the Dolomites. It is a beautiful drive and there are places to pull over at your leisure to take photos of the spectacualr scenery. You could also stop and enjoy a nice picnic lunch while soaking in the views. Spend a couple of nights in the Dolomites if you have time.

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi Richard,

I have to agree with Lane, the Dolomites are easiest (best?) by car. Plus, driving a few of the alpine passes is simply a blast. The roads are excellent and the scenery along them is out of this world ... simply stunning.
Just my opinion, skip staying in Castelrotto, as it's not "in" the Dolomites, but rather on the "outskirts". We love staying in Alta Badia (La Villa). The Val Gardena is another good option.

www.altabadia.it

www.val-gardena.com

Paul

Posted by
791 posts

Just my opinion but think you have pros and cons either way with car v. train. Myself I prefer driving. True,parking can be a hassle and you do have to watch out getting into the town centers but with my (very limited)train experience you have to go by someone elses schedule,trains are constantly running late and from what I've seen it's not all that much cheaper than driving(for us anyways, a family of four). Get on the wrong train by mistake and you've lost time and money. Forget to validate your ticket and get hassled by a condutor and probably a hefty fine. On the other hand gas is pretty expensive here and the autostrada can be a dip in the wallet and a bit nerve wracking at times. I just prefer to be on my own schedule.

Anyways, Ravenna and San Marino aren't that far away from Venice. Couple of hours by car. You could do either with a sidetrip on the way to Florence.

Ron

BTW- Would highly suggest(if you do drive and don't already have one) to get a navigation system for the car.