Please sign in to post.

Nice to Cinque Terre

As part of an extended vacation in France and Italy we will be driving from Nice to Levanto (Cinque Terre). While the distance is relatively short (approx. 170 miles) it looks like there might be quite a bit of sightseeing along the way (especially on some of the side roads and less traveled routes). And while it appears this drive could be done in a day we are thinking about spending the night halfway between the two towns. If you have traveled this route (and had any experience with lodging along the coast in a small town) we would welcome your observations and feedback. Thanks in advance!

Posted by
8700 posts

Are you aware that there is a stiff surcharge for picking up a car in one country and dropping it off in another? Renting two cars might be cheaper. Drop off the first one in Nice, take the train to Genova, and pick up the second one there.

Posted by
3313 posts

Actually, the drive can be a bit disappointing. By that, I mean that a lot of that distance is high rise beach town after high rise beach town until you get to Genoa - which is Naples, north - and then a smaller set of beach towns with yacht harbors until you get to Portofino. Which is a beach town with a really huge yacht harbor. And then, just before you get to the CT, the road turns inland and the only way to drive into the CT are through twisty routes ending in parking lots above the towns themselves (except Monterosso).

There aren't scenic side roads and less traveled routes along the way. Having an Autostrada that goes along that mountainous coast at all is a feat of engineering.

Posted by
26 posts

Tim - thanks for the "heads up" on the rental surcharge. Because we will be in Europe for a month it looks like leasing might be the best way to go. We will pencil it out and see what works best.

I looked at Google and ViaMichelin maps and there appears to be a road that goes along the coast from Nice to Genoa. Our thought was to take this road (instead of the Autostrada) at a slower pace and hopefully a more scenic casual drive. Does anyone have any experience driving that route?

Doug and Fred - thanks for the tip on Portofino. I read some additional info on that area yesterday and it looks like I need to put it on the list to visit. We are thinking a day trip from Levanto (via train) to Portofino and Camogli (hike the trail between the two towns).

Posted by
7 posts

Doug is correct. Maybe going to Portofino and/or Santa Margherta ( Italian Riviera) might be worth a day or two before CT. It will be quite a feat to drive "into" the CT

Posted by
26 posts

I looked at Google and ViaMichelin maps and there appears to be a road that goes along the coast from Nice to Genoa. Our thought was to take this road (instead of the Autostrada) at a slower pace and hopefully a more scenic casual drive. Does anyone have any experience driving that route?

Posted by
3313 posts

Steve - If you're looking at the road that's labeled SP1 on Google maps, yes. It would be the road that connects each of the beach towns and is actually based on an old Roman road. In an example that might have meaning to you, I would equate it to Highway 101 going through Seaside or Lincoln City - lots of stops and starts among high rise hotels. I'd predict you'd be fleeing for the Autostrada in short order.