Please sign in to post.

New Years Eve in Rome

We will be arriving in Rome on New Year’s Eve and will be near Piazza Navona. I would like to know what the atmosphere will be like- we will have two teens with us. We don’t want to spend a lot of money on a multi course meal and are hoping there are other options. Also- we will need somewhere to eat on New Years Day- is anything open?

Posted by
11367 posts

Are you staying in a hotel or apartment? Email the hotel or landlord and ask them for help. Google has suggestions too.

Posted by
11464 posts

Eating out on New Year’s Eve is huge in Rome and, in my experience, on the expensive side, so the advice to ask your hotel is good as they may have a local connection to hook you up with a trattoria that has less-inflated menu prices that night. Also, Italians, who tend to eat late by our standards anyway, eat VERY late on NYE as they are usually still at table at midnight when nose makers appear and the insane fireworks start.

If you arrive early enough, you might do well to try and dine about 7 pm before the multi-course, fixed-price dinners commence.

I spent a few minutes looking for specific ideas for you. For 8 years off-and-on we ate at a place near Piazza Navona (including on NYE) that was one of our faves, but last time it had gone downhill a bit. Owner no longer there. But I also remember several good meals Taverna Le Coppelle which is not too far from the piazza. It opens at 7 pm and has an email for inquiry so perhaps you could drop them a line.

New Year’s Day there will be plenty of places open and reservations are recommended then as well. Check out Il Giardino Romano for NY Day. They take online reservations.

Be prepared for a noisy night. Fireworks are everywhere in Rome and from midnight for about an hour. Some are official displays and many are individuals shooting them from rooftops, balconies, and all over the major squares. That is, Piazza Navona will be insane and possibly dangerous from a standpoint of being exposed to thrown firecrackers and bottle rockets in every direction.

Posted by
1 posts

My husband and I are also planning on being in Rome for NYE. We have an airbnb so we were thinking of cooking our own meal before heading out on the town just incase we didn't want to fight the crowds.