Please sign in to post.

New Year's eve in Rome-2023

Hello there. We are family of five, parents and three older teens going to Rome from December 26, 23 to Jan 1st, 24.

2023 new year's eve is also a Sunday, I am trying to figure out what we should do with meals that day. I already made dinner reservations on that Friday and Saturday, but not so sure about Sunday. One family member has gluten and dairy intolerance, one person can't eat fish. I read that most Rome restaurant serve set meals on new years eve, it would be a waste(food and money) if the menu is not flexible. I was thinking maybe we should make that day as our "street food day", eating while walking our way through Rome. But then. I heard that many places are close on Sunday, are the small eateries and 'holes in the walls' going to be most likely closed on Sunday (top with New Years eve)?

Any experience/recommendation is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

BTW, we are staying in Camp de'fiori.

Posted by
1457 posts

My family will be there from December 31 to January 4, so we would like to figure out NYE meals, too. I wonder if the Mercato Centrale Roma at the train station will be open that day —- you’d think so. We love to eat there and think it would be fun for the grandkids and lots of choices for everyone.

Posted by
18677 posts

I suspect if you get a list of good restaurants, maybe off TripAdvisor, and look up the websites you will be surprised how many will be open. And you may even find a few with something going on that you might enjoy as opposed to the drunken mash in the streets (I did Rome for NYE once).

Posted by
11470 posts

Katie Parla keeps up to date so here are a couple of links to help you. I suggest following her updates as she does them for the holidays every year.

https://katieparla.com/eating-in-rome-on-a-sunday/

https://katieparla.com/where-to-eat-in-rome-christmas-new-year/

If you see something you like in these lists, reach out to the restaurant via email (you should find most have contact info on their websites) with questions on dietary needs. We hosted friends in Rome with gluten and dairy issues and restaurants were always accommodating. Even on a fixed menu, they can do that.