Please sign in to post.

New Year's Eve 2022 in Amalfi and Itinerary Thoughts

My husband, teen daughter and I will be staying in an Airbnb smack in middle of Amalfi coast (near Ravello). Checking in Dec 30 and out Jan 4. I know this is off season and not everything is open. But we are looking forward to some quiet uncrowded time and seeing the area as the locals live it. We will have a car (parking included with house). Any thoughts about New Year's Eve though? Will there be restaurants open - what time will they serve? In general, will we be able to park our car in the different towns along the coast? Anything special we need to know about restaurants? IS there an app similar to Yelp for Italy?

We will stop at Pompeii on our way there from Napoli. Any other suggestions for things to do in the area?

p.s. we fly into Rome and will spend 2 days enjoying the Christmas decorations and just being in the city before training down to Napoli for 2 days of exploring. After Amalfi we will drive back to Napoli and then train to FCO where we stay in a cute inn just off the airport for the night before departure.

All feedback appreciated.
Ellen

Posted by
19 posts

I just posted a very similar question about going to Amalfi in the winter. During my research so far, I read that the town of Amalfi is very festive for Christmas and New Year's with fireworks, lots of holiday shopping and music. Here is the blog I read it from. Scroll down to #3: http://www.ciaoamalfi.com/2016/11/amalfi-coast-off-season/

Posted by
6997 posts

You might consider dropping car in Salerno and training to Rome from there

Posted by
11500 posts

Just a warning as we were in Rome late Dec 2019 and early Jan 2020 and you could hardly move with all the crowds. The lines for the Pantheon stretched across the piazza to the back every day we were there. They were basically Italians visiting Rome for the New Years holiday.
Get your dinner reservations in place way before you head to Rome. Elizabeth Minchilli’s App EatRome was worth every penny. If you staying near the Pantheon or Piazza Navona I have some dining recommendations. We stayed in New Years Eve. Dinner reservations for New Years Eve started at 10pm, were very expensive. Some places offered normal dining hours.

Posted by
5 posts

Thx Suki....very helpful. We are staying near piazza madonna and would appreciate recommendations. We have 2 dinners in rome...dec 26 and 27. I am a little concerned about what will be open on 26th.

We will be near amalfi for new year eve.
Ellen

Posted by
5 posts

Christine. Thx for note. We are 3 people so cheaper to return car to same location and then train. Actually thinking of exploring price to return car at fco and save price of 6 train tix

Posted by
6997 posts

There’s not usually a drop off charge for a different location
Return and pick up will be decidedly easier in Salerno and possibly less expensive although getting to Pompeii from Amalfi is a bit more driving
Don’t leave anything visible/valuable in your car if you stop at Pompeii on your way

We always use AutoEurope
Do a search here for reviews of their service and please do read up on driving in Italy, you don’t want to return home to any nasty late Christmas gifts in your mailbox ;)
All drivers will need an IDP- easily obtained at your local AAA