Please sign in to post.

Neighborhoods in Rome

Hello, I am planning our trip to Rome and am trying to organize our site seeing by neighborhoods in Rome so that we can make the most of our short time in the city. My question is, where is the Jewish Ghetto, Piazza Navona, Holy Stairs Basilican of San Clemente, Santa Prassede and the Chapel of San Zeno all located in? Which neighborhoods? Thanks for any help.

Posted by
7737 posts

Google Maps has a great tool where you can save your own personal maps and put anything on it. It's one of my favorite trip planning tools, and you can use Streetview to look around at street level. Happy travels.

Posted by
11336 posts

An approach I woudl take is to buy a large map of Rome at your local bookstore or travel store, preferably a laminated or coated-paper version. Locate each site an mark it with a a Sharpie. Then you will see how they group together and can better plan. BTW, it's a great idea to plan your sightseeing by area. Rick Steves' guide book for Rome has some agendas that might work for you" Ancient Rome, Pilgrims Rome, Ghetto Walk, etc. Piazza Navona is a wonderful place to walk through early in the morning. It is peaceful and relatively people-free. Then go back in the evening and see the transformation while you savor a gelato.

Posted by
7737 posts

Great idea about the laminated map. And if you use a dry-erase marker you can keep reusing it.

Posted by
17 posts

Great suggestion Laurel. Another idea is to use google maps to do the same. You can mark locations and it will create a legend for you so you can then print a copy of the map with your sites marked on it.

Posted by
1994 posts

You've picked sites scattered through the city. As a starter, S Prassede (in which the chapel of S Zeno is located) is a few blocks from Termini (and a few hundred feet from S Maria Maggiore). The Holy Stairs are not part of S Clemente, but instead are across the street from S John Lateran. It's probably no more than a mile walk down a major street to get from S Prassede to the Lateran and nearby Holy Stairs. San Clemente is, I seem to recall, in the opposite direction relative to Termini and would a longer walk than I'd do; I seem to recall it's on the Caelian hill. Harder to describe location of others, but they're not near the other sites.

Posted by
61 posts

I also used the google maps, it's free and very handy. Happy travels!

Posted by
101 posts

I would definitely get a map. It will let you see the distance between the sites you want to see. Also help organize your time wisely. Have fun!