Please sign in to post.

Need some help

Hello all,
Need a little help here. Flying into Venice for 3 nights, then going to Trieste for 2 nights. My son is doing some research in Trieste. I will have 3 more nights before flying back home (flying out of Venice). Would love to hear suggestions on where to go after visiting Trieste. I am leaning towards renting a car when leaving Venice. Thank you.

Posted by
6469 posts

Renting a car when leaving Venice sounds like a bad idea to be honest. From Venice, the train is the fastest and easist way to get to Trieste. And as any older European city, a car in Trieste is just an expensive head ache.

Posted by
3812 posts

You could rent in Trieste and drive to some village in the Dolomites, as long as you are ok with mountain driving. Or take a 2 hours train from Trieste to Padua. Or take a train back to Venice, get the car near Mestre station and visit the Palladian Villas by car.

Just watch out for the ZTL signs and those warning about speed traps ahead.

Posted by
2192 posts

Bassano del Grappa and Treviso have been recommended by others on this forum. (They're still on my wish list.) You don't say what time of year you're traveling, which might make a difference in the Dolomites' recommendation.

Posted by
16392 posts

It appears you are going soon. I would not visit the Dolomites in November. It is not just sholder season there; it is “dead season”, with lots of places closed for a break between the busy summer/early autumn and the winter ski season. And the roads could be icy.

I am one of those who recommends Bassano del Grappa—-I just decided today to spend our last two nights tere before flying out of Venice, next September.

For you, if you have a car, I would suggest the hill town of Asolo as well. I’ll confess we have not bee there, but as we drove past on our way between Bassano di Grappa and the Venice airport years ago, I had that “I have to go there!” feeling. Have not made it yet.

So that is 2 of your 3 nights. Or you could spend a night in Asolo on your way from Trieste, and the last 2 of your trip in Bassano.

Posted by
2979 posts

A direct train from the Venezia S Lucia station to Trieste Centrale takes 2h 15m so do not rent a car. I would then take a direct train to Padua (Padova) that takes 3h. You can take a day trip to Vicenza from Padua (30-minutes) by direct train. If you have an early departure out of Venice, spend the night near the airport.

Posted by
11218 posts

We love Bassano del Grappa’s alpine setting yet so close to Venice. We have enjoyed two visits there.