Please sign in to post.

Need itinerary help for Spring 2020 trip

This forum is always so helpful in planning my trips. This is our third trip to Italy and I am having trouble with the seven nights we have between Florence and Rome. I had wanted to concentrate on Umbria but we are using public transportation so I am thinking now that maybe we should do a Tuscan town and an Umbrian town. We enjoy art, history, food, and wine. We also love small towns but Florence is our favorite place in Italy. Here is my plan, any input and tweaks would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Naples-3nights
Capri-2 nights
Amalfi-3nights
Florence -4 nights
Perugia-2 nights
Gubbio-2 nights
Spello-3 nights
Rome-4 nights

My biggest question is, should we cut out Perugia or Gubbio and add a night to Spello? Or cut out Perugia and Gubbio and stay in an easy to reach Tuscan town? Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions.

Posted by
5291 posts

Have you considered staying in Assisi?
You could easily visit Spello from there via bus or train.
You may also consider staying a couple of nights in Orvieto.

In the Fall of 2017, I spent 4 weeks traveling in Italy via public transportation.
I spent a couple of weeks visiting Tuscany and Umbria, and this was my route: Lucca> Siena > Orvieto > Assisi, Spello (day trip from Assisi) > Montefalco > Bevagna (afternoon trip) Trevi, and Spoleto (day trip from Trevi) > Rome.

If you’ve not visited Siena, you may also enjoy going there.

There are way too many beautiful towns and cities to choose from!

Keep in mind that traveling by public transportation will take longer, but it’s definitely doable.

I wrote a few trip reports if you’re interested.

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
127 posts

Thanks Pricilla. We have all ready been to Orvieto and Assisi and loved them both. That is why we were thinking of experiencing more of Umbria this trip. However, we have not stayed in Siena so maybe we should try that. We have been to Lucca and Volterra.