Please sign in to post.

Need hotel recommendation for Rome

Hello, we'll be returning to Rome by train from Naples July 1st. There's so many hotels to chose from from. Should we stay close to train station (we will be returning to the US on July 4th) or should we stay by Spanish Steps. Looking for a good hotel with A/C, good location, approximately $150 - $200+ a night. Thanks.

Posted by
6626 posts

We like to stay more central, near the Pantheon or Campo de’Fiori
From there you can walk almost everywhere other than Vatican Museum

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you very much. That information really helps. Since we will be arriving by train, do you suggest we take a taxi or a train to get to that area. Again, thank you so much for your tips.

Posted by
11470 posts

When arriving in an unfamiliar city, we like to take a taxi to the hotel from the train station. Just be sure to get one from the official taxi rank, not from anyone who approaches you.

Posted by
33 posts

We stayed at both the Oceana and Hotel Nardizzi Americana both in the same building but on different floors. Good location if you want to stay near the Train Station. Staff in both hotels were friendly and helpful. Probably on the lower end of your range. Both are on the upper floors with many stairs or the small (phone booth) elevator.

Posted by
23463 posts

We always stay in the Termini area at the Hotel Sonya - across from Opera house and within a couple of blocks of Termini. Easy walk. A little further is Hotel Aberdeen - equally nice and convenient. Both have excellent breakfasts. Wife prefers the lattes at Sonya. But the difference is very small. For a quick over night we have used Hotel Contilla. Just a block south of the side door of Termini. However, the breakfast is not impressive. I would stay in the Termini area just for the convenience of transit both to the airport and to and from the train station with nice restaurants in the area. I don't like the Spanish steps area since it is overrun by tourists.

Posted by
6370 posts

We love the Aberdeen, which is an easy walk from the train station. Great staff, good location, good breakfast. We've also stayed at the Sonya, which would be our second choice. Frank, I don't remember the lattes, but the Sonya had the best mortadella I've ever had. Ever.

We stayed at the Nardizzi Americana once on a RS tour, and didn't care for it. The room was fine, but the breakfast was not. Bad coffee, just a few sweet rolls. The second day my husband and I brought fruit and cheese to share. The next day more folks brought stuff, as well. On one of those days, (not the first morning) the hotel staff did put out some bread, just as we were about to leave.

As you can tell, breakfast is important to me!

Posted by
3961 posts

We prefer staying close to the Termini. Excellent location and walking distance to major sights. We have stayed at Hotel Residenza Cellini twice. Well appointed, A/C, adequate room size, delicious ample breakfast, elevator, quiet, and front-desk 24 hr service and convenient to the Termini. The hotel is also located near the previous recommended Hotel Aberdeen. All RS recommended Hotels. www.residenzacellini.it

Posted by
3551 posts

I have stayed at Oceano and Aberdeen and I. Recom hotel Aberdeen.
Yes close to station but also across the street from Police/military station.

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you very much for all the suggestions. I do have another question---approximately would a taxi charge from the hotel to the airport? Are shuttles available?

Posted by
6626 posts

Taxi is fixed rate to/ from airport 48 Euros
your hotel will call one for you

Or take Leonardo express right from Termini
14 euros I believe