Please sign in to post.

national museum of rome

Does anyone know if this museum is currently opened? Trip Advisor says its closed.
Grazie

Posted by
15813 posts

Hi Christine! Say, this is another one of multiple beniculturali.it sites, including the Borghese's, that have been refusing to open for me over the past two weeks. Others are having the same issues. Is it opening for you?

Editing to add: there's info about the 4 branches on the cooopculture website, and the webllnk they provide doesn't go anywhere either. However, they do sell tickets on the coopculture website, and note that you can purchase them online or onsite at NMR ticket offices.

https://www.coopculture.it/en/poi/national-roman-museum/

Posted by
36 posts

When I went to the main museum (Palazzo Massimo) in early April, I just walked in and bought my ticket at the entrance. There were very few people there. I don’t know if it gets much busier with the high season.
There was no brochure-map available, so it was helpful to have the RSE Rome guidebook. The staff were not particularly helpful but the exhibits were very informative on notables of Roman history and the mosaics were amazing. I didn’t get to the coins.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you for the replies.
Yes site will not open for me either but I think the consensus is that the museum is open.
I bought my tickets through Coopculture. I can’t wait to visit and I will use the Rick Steves Rome tour as my guide. Ciao. Grazie Mille.

Posted by
557 posts

I was there yesterday and it was definitely open, however there was no access to the lower level where the coins are. No explanation, just roped off and no lights. The mosaics are amazing.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you very much for confirming that the museum was open. I hope you had a fantastic time. We can’t wait to go.

Posted by
15585 posts

I was in Rome at the beginning of April. I bought my multi-site ticket at Massimo. The next day I went to Altemps. There were hardly any visitors at either, though there were plenty of tourists in Rome and other (more popular/well-known) sights were crowded.