Please sign in to post.

Naples train station

I'm traveling from Sorrento to Naples and then on to Rome. We'll have some luggage. I'm wondering how hard it will be to get the luggage up the steps from the NAPLES CIRCUMVESUVIANA RAILWAY station to the main station above. I want to know how many steps are involved. Are there several flights of steps? if only one set of steps, about how many steps are there? Thanks.

Posted by
15879 posts

The station is equipped with escalators: no problem.

Posted by
2 posts

All the web sites say there are only stairs between Circumvasulvialla and the main train station. They say no elevators or escalators between them. None of them indicate how many stairs.

Posted by
7049 posts

If you are this worried, will you be able to handle your luggage on and off the train? It can be crowded. It's probably best to pack as light as you can and not have full-sized or really heavy luggage with you. Not being in full control of your luggage can make you vulnerable to those who want to "help" (which means helping themselves to your things).

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k8799526-Naples_Central_Train_Station_Escalators_or_Not-Naples_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Posted by
101 posts

My wife and I made this trip about a week and a half ago. We stayed in Sorrento - and had a train from Naples to Rome. We opted for a car service from our hotel to the Naples train station. While it can be a tad pricey - up to 100 Euros - we felt it was well worth it. We rode the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Pompeii - and it was fine. But the prospect of hauling all of our luggage to the train station (we actually used the Sant'Agnello train station because it was closer to our hotel) - then dealing with the luggage on the train just didn't seem like a fun way to spend an hour and a half. The Circumvesuviana can get crowded and there's no place to 'store' luggage - so you'll likely be standing between cars for the trip. And I'm not sure if the Sorrento train station has escalators or an elevator. I don't remember the Sant'Agnello station having them - but there were a number of steps that had to be ascended just to get inside the station.

Posted by
15879 posts

There is an elevator in the Sorrento station. If you have trouble locating it, just ask.

I would heed the caution about managing your luggage elsewhere, though, as Italy in general involves dealing with a lot of steps. Hotels often do not have lifts so unless you're staying in one which clearly specifies that it does, you may be hauling your bags up/down some flights of stairs.

Posted by
11613 posts

Escalators/elevators may be out of order, be prepared to handle your luggage via stairs in a worst-case scenario.

Posted by
3551 posts

As a reminder be very aware of your personal safety espec in Naples and on the Circumvasia train. Best keep your luggage minimal and valuables very secure. And always a money belt for passport and $.

Posted by
2455 posts

Just to validate Zoe's comment, when I went by CV train from Sorrento to Naples a couple of years ago, the train ride went fine, but the escalator was indeed not functioning, and let me tell you, there were many, many, many steep steps to walk up, like really many. Even with minimal baggage, it was a challenging task. Pack light, and consider a car service or taxi.

Posted by
7397 posts

The modern train station in Naples (fully operational in 2014 when we visited) has a brand-new escalator between the main floor and the Circumvesuviana floor. It is a long horizontal distance to the Circumvesuviana, however. AFAIR, there are also escalators used after the Circumvesuviana turnstiles. I would say that the various Italian governments have a much better record of maintaining escalators than the NY City Transit Authority (i.e. the "subway".)

More important is the extreme crowding on the Circumvesuviana. There are no long-distance-train style luggage racks, it's more like a subway or commuter rail car. So, if you're lucky, you might get a seat near the sliding doors and get to keep your hand on your luggage while seated. But maybe your luggage will be just out of reach. And the train will be packed. Again, the horizontal distance in Sorrento can be long, and the sidewalks are cobbled if you don't take a cab to your hotel.

Note that there is more than one line/route of the Circumvesuviana, and you need to read the overhead signs to find the correct platform in Naples. (In Sorrento, the end of a line, there is no ambiguity whatsovever.)

If you have ever used public transportation or mass transit anywhere, this is not that hard. But it's crowded all day long. It's often hot in the summer months, including May and September.

Posted by
4105 posts

We were in Sorrento a month ago and the elevator was not functioning. Escalator in Naples was running.

It's Italy.

An option is to take the Curreri Viaggi bus (10 E) from Piazza Tasso, in Sorrento, to Naples Airport, then the Alibus (4 E) to Napoli Centrale. It may add 30 minutes to your travel time, but much less expensive than a private transfer.

You will have a half mile hike to the station, but it's flat ground.

Posted by
15879 posts

Wise input about lifts and escalators being out of service. It happens. As Gerri put it, "It's Italy." To be fair to her, though, we've experienced that in other countries including the U.S.

Best to be prepared to roll with whatever is and is not working at any given time!

Posted by
11613 posts

How sad to have an escalator or elevator not functioning elsewhere, and not be surrounded by the beauty that is Italy.

Posted by
15879 posts

LOL, Very true, Zoe! And no fabulous gelato.
Stairs are very useful for wearing that off.