Please sign in to post.

Naples Safety

So there are a lot of old postings about safety in Naples. We are experienced travelers, have been to Europe almost a dozen times, other places in Italy including Rome, Milan, Venice, Lakes, Florence, plus many other major European Cities (Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Budapest, Prague, Munich, among others).

We are always careful and will heed the advice Rick gives in the Naples guidebook.

Is there anything anyone has to add to that advice? Any specific places absolutely to avoid? How bad is it around the train station (Garibaldi) and where specifically around it are the worst areas? Are there any areas close to the airport that are a bad idea (we need to stay close our last night because we have a 7am flight out).

Thanks to all who may be able to provide additional information.

Posted by
11214 posts

How many nights are you staying in Naples? The airport is adjacent to downtown so stay put in the city itself, no need to be right by airport.
Your Naples hotel can get you a taxi at an early hour.

Posted by
911 posts

My wife did not see or experience any issues when we were there two years ago. Even walked to our hotel from the train station. There are not people waiting to pounce on you as you leave the train station. Just practice your safe travel habits that you used on your other trips and enjoy Naples. Also, taxis are plentiful and cheap, as stated above your hotel can set one up with no problem.

Posted by
2477 posts

I stayed in a hotel adjacent to the train station for 2 nights in April 2017 and experienced no problems. I was there solo, walked to restaurants close by, using situational awareness of course just as I would in the US.

Posted by
2768 posts

I think that normal precautions will be fine. The circumvesuviana train has a reputation for pickpocketing. I rode it twice with no trouble, but was on guard a bit. It's a pretty run down local commuter train, lots of graffiti, crowded, hot, etc. I found it fine but there are lots of stories out there about theft, so just be aware.

I don't know that the main sections where you would be as a tourist are any less safe than other parts of Europe. There are plenty of pickpockets, like in other cities. I don't know about the organized crime situation, but that's not really a risk to visitors regardless. People perceive it as dangerous because a lot of it looks like our image of an unsafe city (crowded, not especially clean, graffiti, no trees, noisy...) however I think as far as theft you are less safe on The Ramblas in Barcelona.

The train station itself is ok, as is the immediate area right in front. Not sure about farther afield - I just took a cab or subway to it, not really spending much time in the immediate area. I'd suggest staying in the historic core or via toledo or close to the waterfront, I just found the train station area unpleasant (not really unsafe). Others find the convenience of staying nearby worth it, but to me, I'd rather just go to the train station when needed and otherwise stay closer to places I want to spend time in.

Posted by
2048 posts

We spent a week in Naples last year and encountered no difficulties. The area around the train station can feel a little rough, but it’s mainly people just trying to sell things to get by. We stayed in the Vomero neighborhood, which is on the hill at the north end of downtown. It is a quiet great neighborhood, with several metro stops and funiculars. Hope you enjoy Naples.

Posted by
271 posts

We will be in Naples in mid-October, at the Grand Hotel Oriente, which is near the Toledo Station, and looks to be a couple of blocks off Via Toledo. We have tickets to Teatro di San Carlo, and were planning on walking back to the hotel afterwards along Via Toledo, which will probably be close to 11. We will not have anything particularly valuable with us, are experienced travelers, and used to NY (lived there most of my life), so the usual precautions for a large city are pretty much second nature. The walk didn't seem to be a risky idea, although I guess we'll ask at the hotel. But from my experience in getting a taxi after a performance (very difficult everywhere!) walking might be better than that.

Posted by
3148 posts

We spent a week there in 2013, and never once felt at risk from thieves or scammers.
In fact, the reverse, as I found everyone to be super helpful and friendly.
The Circumvesuviana train to Herculaneum and Pompeii is a bit suspect; and we did see a couple of lowlifes surveying people on board, and getting off with what looked like someone's camera bag.
The thing to watch out for is the traffic, particularly in the narrow streets; as scooters roar about and won't stop for you!
We stayed in the Spanish Quarter off via Toledo, in an apartment; and while the streets looked rough, the people were great.
The food is much better there than further north, and I just loved it.