Please sign in to post.

naples/pompeii

Should you see the museum in Naples before or after the ruins at Pompeii? Any other tips on visiting this area?
Thanks,
Susie

Posted by
23268 posts

I don't see how it would make any difference. We saw it after Pompeii -- about two years after. Pompeii is massive and can take a long time to see even if you only hit the highlights.

Posted by
440 posts

Susie, discounting the visit to Pompeii almost 10 years ago, I visited the museum before the site this year. I was pleased with that order of things but then as Frank has written, it probably makes no difference. The museum is worth half a day and Pompeii even longer. I had 5 hours at Pompeii and 2 hours at Herculaneum. Last month I visited a special Pompeii exhibition at the Museum in Melbourne (Australia) and that was wonderful too. Enjoy

Posted by
3112 posts

If it fits your schedule, visit the museum after Pompeii. As you tour Pompeii, you'll see signs that say original in Naples museum. When you then see it in the museum, you're more likely to remember it's original placement in Pompeii. I thought that added some interest.