Please sign in to post.

Naples/Pompeii

I have been to Italy before but will be travelling with a friend who has never been. I wanted to take my friends to Pompeii but want to know can you see Naples and Pompeii in one day or should I break this up into two days to where we see Naples one day and Pompeii one day.

Posted by
23270 posts

It just depends on where you want to spend your time. You could easily spend most of a day in Pompeii especially in the summer time with the heat and crowds. As for Naples I am not a big fan beyond the museum with most of the stuff from Pompeii. But an overnight would make it easier.

Posted by
361 posts

Skip Naples, stay in Sorrento and take the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii from Sorrento however, once you see Sorrento you may opt to stay a lot longer.

Posted by
22 posts

I have been to Sorrento before and was actually planning on staying in Rome for three to four days and doing a day trip to Pompeii and was going to include Naples. Only wanted to include Naples because I wanted to see some places I hadn't seen before in Italy. What would you suggest if I was going to Rome and added Sorrento to my itinerary in terms of the amount of days for both.

Posted by
7737 posts

I would spend two nights in Sorrento. That would give you time to do Naples/Pompeii during the day.

Posted by
253 posts

Naples is not the most convenient city to move around in but the museum is important to see. Also, there are just too many scam artist there, so you have to be on your guard constantly, which is exhausting and not always successful. As recommended, two days in Sorrento will allow you an easier time to see Naples for a day, and both Pompeii and Herculaneum.

Posted by
891 posts

Kim, we spent two nights at the Hotel Amleto, just off the main piazza in Pompeii. The in between day we were at the ruins, taking our time seeing almost every building (the ones that were open) It turned out to be a relaxing day after Rome. No matter where you decide to stay, read "Pompeii" by Robert Harris. It's historical fiction and it helped us to understand how their culture worked. We were able to go around and find some of the buildings that were actually there including the cistern. It explains how things like the water and fountains worked. Definitely worth the read, and the characters are interesting. Have a great trip!

Posted by
515 posts

I've been to Naples 3 times and to Sorrento 3 times. I am a big fan of Naples. Sorrento not so much. Sorrento is completely touristed, but it is a great base camp for doing the Amalfi Coast plus Pompeii Scavi and Capri. The mighty Circumvesuviana light rail connects Naples to Sorrento, with Pompeii Scavi midway between the two stations. The train stops at every stop (think SF N Judah) and the ruins are about 40 minutes from either starting point. The ruins are breathtaking and expansive. I can't imagine spending less than 3 hours there, but some people do. I recommend the summit of Mt Vesuvius, you can pick up a shuttle at the Ercolano stop on the Circumvesuviana, and the shuttle will take you almost to the top. There is a 1/2 mile walk on a fire road from there. If you are at Ercolano you can take the short walk to Herculaneum. If I were taking your trip I would train from Rome to Naples in time for pizza for lunch, and a cannoli dessert, and then do the Museum, the waterfront and endless gelato. There are good restaurants along the water. After the night in Naples, the next day would be a leisurely Pompeii, Vesuvius Herculaneum and another great dinner in Naples.

Posted by
152 posts

I too LOVED Naples! I actually skipped another day in Sorrento to be able to bum around Naples some more. It's gritty and you have to be careful, but oh, it's REAL. And don't forget Da Michele pizza there...

Posted by
152 posts

...also, consider seeing Ostia Antica just outside of Rome. It is just as good as Pompeii, if not better.