Please sign in to post.

naples or sorrento

We will be vacationing in Italy and Greece this coming August. We are planning to spend 3 nights in the Naples region and are trying to decide whether to stay in Naples or Sorrento. We will be arriving via train from Florence during the afternoon of Aug 18th and our flight to Greece leaves from Naples airport on the Aug 21st at 3:00. So we will have 2 full days a 2 partial days. There are 5 of us traveling (myself, husband, kids 5 and 10, and my mother) We are interested in seeing Naples, Sorrento, Capri, and Pompeii. I realize that we cannot fit all of this in in our tight timeline so we will be narrowing it down. Any thoughts on what City we should make home base to make the most of our time?

Posted by
23313 posts

Although Sorrento is far more attractive than Naples, probably suggest you stay in Naples give that you want to go to Pompeii and Capri and flying out of Naples. You just don't have that much time.

Posted by
11211 posts

Agree with Frank.

Sorrento the nicer place to be, but given your time constraint, staying in Naples maximizes your time

Enjoy Greece. We found it wonderful

Posted by
2 posts

We have stayed in both places and I much prefer Sorrento. Hotel Del Mare is down in the old harbor and a great location. We also went to both Pompeii and then Herculaneum. Pompeii was very hot and very crowded. The cruise ship crowds go to Pompeii also. Herculaneum is smaller, but better preserved and I thought more fascinating with practically no crowds. We rode the local train to Herculaneum from Sorrento. Make sure you get off at the second Ercolano stop and not the first. It's super easy to catch ferries from Sorrento to Capri and back to Naples. If you go to Capri I strongly recommend riding the chair lift. Great views. Have a great time.

Posted by
313 posts

Stay in Naples. There is one ship in port and none in Sorrento on the 19th. Hire a private tour/guide to take you to Pompeii and Sorrento for the day. Yes, it will cost about 400 euros give or take but, you will have a private car drive you and you will have a guide for Pompeii and you will see Pompeii and Sorrento in one day. Then on the 20th ferry to Capri. On the day you leave, the 21st, there are several ships in port but go to the museum to see the Pompeii ruins .On the day you arrive, walk around the city center and port have pizza and enjoy Naples. If you are ambitious you can see it all in the time you have. Enjoy

Posted by
973 posts

You are going to get all sorts of opinions. I hated Naples, so I vote Sorrento. It's dirty, gritty, graffiti ridden. Yes, maybe one needs to be there awhile to learn it's "charms", but I didn't have that time. And after my first impression, we will never go back.

Posted by
1949 posts

Very short time in the area, in August, and you want to see Naples, Sorrento, Capri & Pompei. I say stay in Sorrento.

By staying in Sorrento, you'll probably be somewhat cooler (Naples in the summer can be a hellhole, but a charming hellhole!), it's closest to Capri, and 45 minutes by train to Pompei. And you can easily get to Napoli Capodichino airport from Sorrento on the day of departure by taking the Curreri Viaggi bus that leaves every hour-and-a-half from the Sorrento station. Make sure you book ahead though.

Posted by
4898 posts

Naples. Ugh. Probably my least favorite place in Italy. It might be more convenient, since you're leaving from there, but I'd still opt for Sorrento. As mentioned, Capri and Pompeii are easy to get to, and it won't take that long to get to Naples on your departure day.

Posted by
7341 posts

If you will have any "seaside" in Greece then you can skip the Sorrento "cliffside." (No beach.) It will save time for your many objectives. Since you weren't among the many who have asked how much is a "pint" in Sorrento, you can skip it. Pay for air conditioning in August.

Posted by
2048 posts

We like Naples, but were there in a cooler month. If you opt to stay there, I'd stay near the water (with air conditioning, of course). That way you could walk to the ferry to Capri, plus to the wonderful pizza places.

Posted by
490 posts

I love Naples and I think in the time that you have and the size of your party it makes the most sense. You will have a selection of more ferries to choose from for your travels, and trains to Pompeii and Herculaneum are easy, although with a large party you may want to take a private car to the sights, especially in the heat.

You have great restaurants and easy access to trains and the ferries.

I have stayed many times at Una Hotel Napoli, I like the location and service. You may want to consider something in a more charming area, but for me the closeness to the train station and bus to the port were great.

I agree with the previous poster that HERCULANEUM is superior in many ways to Pompeii. It is smaller, easier to navigate on your own, has shaded areas and is better preservered. If you read up on it, this was a wealthy fishing village that people went to escape the heat..so the homes are very opulent and it only about the size of your average US neighborhood 20 blocks or so, very easy to see, and go to the MUST SEE Archeological Museum in Naples in the same day.