Please sign in to post.

NAPLES ITALY

Need a hotel recommendation near the train station but not living dangerously for fear of mugging or pick pockets.

Posted by
132 posts

Do your research...be prepared. It's a big gritty city but don't let others scare you away. I heard the same negative stuff when I was planning my trip to Rome - but loved every minute of it.

Posted by
32325 posts

Jerry, You'll need to be vigilant regarding pickpockets regardless of where you travel in Italy. Be sure to wear a Money Belt! Is it imperative that you stay near the train station?

Posted by
132 posts

I am going there this July for the 1st time and I ed
Hotel Potenza, Napoli from the Rick Steves Guidebook. Can't say how it is but it seemed okay (I also checked reviews from other sources). I will say this...the price was unbeatable. Despite all the negative press, I'm looking forward to my trip there.

Posted by
7737 posts

You will indeed be surprised at how much lower the prices are for the hotels around the train station. That's the main reason we decided to stay in Naples a few years ago, rather than in Sorrento. I was wondering why the prices were so low. Then we got there and it all became clear. (See the "demand" side of the supply-demand equation.) I hope you enjoy Naples - some people really love it. Happy trails.

Posted by
90 posts

We were in Naples in Oct '09 and stayed at the Hotel Esedra, a small boutique hotel, with excellent breakfast (not just rolls and coffee), VERY reasonable, A/C, within a hundred yards of the famous home of pizza Margherita and the entrance to the Spaccanapoli. We're reasonably savvy senior citizen (late 60's) European travelers and found Naples to be no more "dangerous" than many US cities (does D.C. come to mind). Just use common sense. We walked everywhere right up until midnight and never felt threatened. I do admit we did not go to the Spanish Quarter...lack of time and it was a bit more of a walk. We drove in from visiting family in central Italy, the hotel arranged inside garage parking (very reasonable price), and 2 1/2 days later drove to the waterfront to catch the overnight ferry to Sicily. Don't be afraid of Naples, just use common sense and enjoy this lively, gritty city!