Please sign in to post.

Naples, Italy

Vicky again! Before or after our stay in Naples, we're planning to stay in Sorrento or nearby for a couple of days, all told between Naples and Sorrento about 5 days. (October 9-14). I've been reading old posts about hotels in Naples, and find that I may be too late for some, but also would appreciate more hotel suggestions, and for Sorento (or environs) as well. We are thinking of renting a car to drive the Amalfi coast and north to Rome, OR take the train. Suggestions? thanks much

Posted by
7750 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Palazzo Decumani, because it was a gut renovation of a nice mansion with huge rooms and huge bathrooms, epic air conditioning. They operate other hotels as well, I think. We stayed at the Ambasciatori Grande in Sorrento for five nights, very happy with it. Longer walk to downtown for dinner, but fine.

It is impossible to tell Californians to give up their mighty steel steed of Open Road Freedom. But any old posts you read here will tell you that the ONLY two-lane road through the AC is a traffic-jammed nightmare. There are literally about ten parking spaces in most places you want to park, and they are ... taken. Hire a black car like the Silicon Valley Duuudes would. That's what we did, through the hotel in Sorrento. 8 hours for 240 Euros, but some years ago.

Nobody is telling you that you are not as good as James Bond on a mountain road with no guardrails. The problem is busses that can't make the turns, and jerks stopping to take pictures, as well as sheer numbers. There are also (... read this board) some problems with car rental in Italy: ZTL, IDP, minimum government insurance conflicting with your scheme to save CDW money.

Train from Naples to Rome: 1:10
Steel Steed from Naples to Rome: 3:00
Your choice.

Many people hate the commuter train (Circumvesuviana) from Sorrento to Naples. After trying it Naples-Sorrento, any overpaying for a taxi to the hotel, it was easy to order a 90 Euro (again, years ago) black Mercedes transfer to the same Naples rail station.

Posted by
6285 posts

We took the circumversuviana three times and had no issues except that we weren't certain which stop to get off on for Pompeii. I spoke with a couple local men and while there was a language barrier they bent over backwards to explain which stop to take and then watched to make sure we got off when we needed to.

Fairly frequently I read posts of folks wanting to get away from tourists and touristy activities. Here is a chance to be with the locals and get just a small glimpse of their daily lives.

Posted by
7750 posts

We also took the Circumvesuviana about five times. But with luggage, in rush hour, in the last week of May, it was more crowded and hotter than any subway train I have ridden in sixty years of NYC travel. We could barely enter a car with our full-size suitcases, and could barely keep one finger on them. We were in no "danger" from pickpockets or accordion players because no one could move in the furnace-hot car. It was that crowded the whole hour-plus to Sorrento.

The locals ARE very nice, in once case warning us we had not read the overhead signs properly, and had gotten on the wrong train.

If you are daytripping from Sorrento, the Circumvesuviana is essential for Naples, Pompeii, or the other four ancient sites on the five-location ticket. But it's only approximately on a schedule, most stations are unstaffed, and it's usually very crowded. Because the average newsstand ticket seller (while cheery and helpful) does not have strong English, it is hard to understand that there are actually multiple zones and different fares.

Posted by
1035 posts

It is impossible to tell Californians to give up their mighty steel steed of Open Road Freedom.

...is totally unnecessary, especially as the OP is based in the Bay Area, which has one of the best, most extensive public transportation systems in the entire country. Renting a car was one of two options under consideration, the second being the train.