Please sign in to post.

naples, capri

Traveling to Rome for a week with adult children and 80 yr active mother. Would Naples and Capri be too much to do in a day? What would be highlights?

Posted by
653 posts

I think it's way too much for one day, but it depends on what your interests are. You would really be rushing around. Highlights? Naples: archaeological museum, pizza, waterfront area. You can take the ferry or hydrofoil to Capri from the port. Capri: fabulous setting, Anacapri (higher in elevation) if it's not foggy, the Blue Grotto but there's usually a long line, some of the ancient Roman sites.

Posted by
198 posts

I want to add (tentative plans for my first trip): Weather permitting, a day boat ride that goes around the island of Capri, or an hour boat ride; the chairlift at Anacapri to Mount Solero. If you want to go to Naples, I suggest that you check out Rick's book on Italy. It's a treasure trove of information. He has several suggestions for Capri. I agree with Zoe not to try to do too much in one day, or you will just wind up being tired and frustrated, instead of savoring the experiences that you can really enjoy. I have been struggling with choosing some activities and letting go of others. However, I think that the advice here from the seasoned travelers is good advice. Buon viaggio! Ruth

Posted by
32219 posts

kathleen, Naples would be possible as a day trip, as the travel time from Rome is only a few hours. While there you could tour the Archeological Museum or other sights and head back to Rome in the early evening. Given the travel times, Capri would be a more difficult trip. There are companies that offer day tours from Rome to Capri, but they typically don't provide much more than a few hours on the island. As mentioned in a previous reply, the Italy Guidebook has a LOT of good information that will help to plan efficient touring. Happy travels!