Please sign in to post.

Naples airport to Sorrento

Greetings. I emailed hotel in Sorrento for options on getting there from Naples. Received reply yesterday and they said they did not recommend taking the train as they were usually overcrowded and unsafe?? Recommended bus instead or private transfer for 90 €.

I was surprised to read their comment about the train. Looking for comments about the train and recommendations on best option.

Thanks for your help. Forgot to mention, we will be traveling mid September.

Posted by
7359 posts

https://search.ricksteves.com/?button=&date_range=2y&filter=Travel+Forum&query=circumvesuviana&utf8=%E2%9C%93

Well, since the train does not stop at the airport, you'd also need a bus or taxi (fixed-fare, but some piratical drivers .. !) to the Circumvesuviana station. The taxi fare (and then a taxi in Sorrento ???) makes the 90 Euro limo fare sound like a bargain.

We rode the Circumvesuviana (pre-Covid) and it was indeed jammed and hot. Unsafe? No, only if you are a suburbanite or rural person who has never taken public transportation in a major city. And pickpocketing can happen on a jammed train anywhere, not just southern Italy. Anyway, we paid the 90 Euros on our way back, because the train experience was just too hot and crowded. It's so hard to watch your luggage when you can't put it against your knees.

Posted by
1592 posts

We have taken the train (Circumvessuvianna) from Naples to Sorrento. The not being safe is probably in reference to the high incidence of pickpockets. It is crowed at rush hour as any other commuter service. We took it once at rush hour and had to stand, with our luggage, all the way from Naples to Sorrento. The one good thing was that if there were any pickpockets they could not get to you, and if they did, they could not get away. At other times it was very empty and you could maintain distance. We would use it any time again but just would avoid rush hour.

Posted by
15852 posts

Sue, for people arriving in Naples at the airport versus Centrale train station, I recommend taking the Curreri shuttle bus to Sorrento; it eliminates the need to transfer to Centrale to take the Circumvesuviana commuter train. That is indeed a battered, un-airconditioned thing but we've used it without incident...although you do need to watch your valuables. Ever taken the 'L' in Chicago? Something along that line.

There is an air-conditioned "tourist " train (Campania Express) that travels from Centrale to Sorrento + a few stops in between - for a little higher fee than the Circ. - but it only makes limited runs so is not high on the convenience list, plus you'd still have to transfer to Centrale from the airport.

Here's the info on the shuttle bus; will be a comfortable, economical option for you:
https://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/naples-airport-to-sorrento
https://www.curreriviaggi.it/en/naples-airport-shuttle

Posted by
2768 posts

The train in question is the circumvesuviana train, which is not the same as other trains, especially longer distance train. Those trains would be fine, but the particular train in question is different. It's not that bad, but you do need to be aware that it is a different thing. It's a local train, connecting people around the Naples area, in that way it functions more like the NYC subway than a train for longer travels, and it isn't the newest/cleanest. Some travelers are fine with it, some are not. The hotel is probably used to the latter group and finds it safer to suggest transfers.

So, my opinion - I've taken the train, but not for a stay in Sorrento - for day trips only. It is fine for that purpose, but I would be hesitant to take it with luggage and jet lag. It is crowded and there have been reports of theft. I personally would do a transfer to/from the airport due to luggage - even a carry on size suitcase would be annoying to squeeze in. I wouldn't be hesitant to take the train for day trips to Pompeii or into Naples. That said, if your budget doesn't permit a transfer, the train is not a disaster. It will be fine, just be aware of pickpockets and don't expect much in the way of amenities like A/C or possibly a seat if it is too crowded.

Posted by
3812 posts

How are you supposed to pay for this run? Were you told to give € 90 in cash directly to the driver?

If so, the hotel pockets € 10 off the books for every tourist they convince to use the private driver they have an agreement with. The driver is similarly happy because he knows you won't ask for a receipt, so he can cheat on his taxes.

If they had been actually interested in giving you a clear picture, they would have told you about the Campania Express train that's totally safe.

More, they would explained that the Circumvesuviana is "slow, non air-conditioned and plagued by pickpockets" instead of just flagging it as "unsafe".

"Unsafe" means "muggings!" to me, not a well-dressed middle-aged pickpocket who'll disappear before anyone on board realizes something bad just happened.

Posted by
15852 posts

OK, here's the Campania Express train info if interested. Note that it departs Naples either from Porta Nolana or Piazza Garibaldi stations; Garibaldi is on the lower level of Napoli Centrale. Also note that there are only 4 departure times per day. This is a seasonal train but will be operating through Sept.

https://www.eavsrl.it/web/campania-express-2021-en
https://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/Brochure%20per%20sito2020Blu%207%20con%20castellammare.pdf

Editing to add: I've a feeling the hotel mentioned 90 € for a private transfer as that's about what it usually costs regardless of who you use. 100€ is also in the ballpark. It IS possible that they had their own 'recommendation', which I might be wary of using but which might be just fine. Anyway, if private is the way you want to go, then post that question for driver reco's from RS travelers who've done it that way.

Posted by
6203 posts

We arrived at Napoli station and had a driver booked to our hotel in Sorrento
Cost was 100€. Very easy, great service from this company- we also used them for a transfer from Sorrento to Amalfi. Door to door service.

https://www.topexcursionsorrento.com/en/transfers
scroll down

If we had arrived at Naples airport we would have taken the Curreri bus that Kathy mentions.
The bus is inexpensive, your luggage is stowed beneath and it will drop you at Sorrento train station- from there you might need a taxi to your lodgings- depending where that is.

We used the Circumvesuviana train to Pompeii- that was fine for a day trip, not sure I’d have wanted to try it with luggage and being jet lagged.

Assuming you are arriving after overnight flight I’d go with the simplest most direct way to get to Sorrento that fits your budget.
If your budget only allows for 1 transfer at 100€, take the bus to Sorrento and hire a transfer to get you out of Sorrento to wherever you are going next- whether that be Amalfi coast or back to Naples.

Posted by
11229 posts

The 90euro limo fare does look to be a good deal.

The driver will have to spend ~2hrs driving the 60 mile round trip, and for door to door service makes life really simple after what will presumably have been an international flight.

Posted by
5697 posts

Yes, take the bus -- it's right there at the airport. Train would require an additional transfer getting into the city of Naples.

We have taken Circumvesuviana a number of times between Naples Centrale and Sorrento, with bags. Not as bad as some people make it out to be. But maybe not the best introduction to Italy after a long flight. Bus is easy, air-conditioned, has Greyhound-style seats with big windows -- and a lot cheaper than a private driver if you prefer to save your money for extra gelatos.

Posted by
560 posts

I took the Alilauro ferry from Naples to Sorrento when I went a few years ago. There was easy bus transport from the airport to the harbor. I really enjoyed the ride. So you might consider that option.
Cynthia

Posted by
15249 posts

If the Curreri bus from the airport is operating after Covid, it is the cheapest and second most convenient and comfortable option.

The private car for €90 is the most convenient and comfortable, but also the most expensive option. If the bus is not available, I would take it. It’s a splurge but after a long flight with luggage I wouldn’t bother with the taxi+Circumvesuviana commuter train. Leave the savings for other times.

Posted by
548 posts

Thanks to everyone for your input. I think the bus will be our first choice. If that doesn’t fit our schedule, then private transfer.