Please sign in to post.

Naples airport

Thinking of booking open an open jaw flight (return to NY State from Naples, Italy rather than Rome) after our Best of Southern Italy trip this fall. Does anyone have any experience with the Naples airport? Good versus bad and/or helpful hints? Thanks very much.

Posted by
11232 posts

We were very pleasantly surprised with Naples airport. It was modern, had good dining choices before and after security and everything worked very well. We would use it again without any hesitation. Smaller thus easier than Rome FCO. It was close to the city. We flew from Naples to Berlin. Enjoy your trip.

Posted by
2530 posts

I flew in and out of Naples airport two summers ago. Very easy to maneuver and pleasant.

Taxi drivers in Naples do like to rip people off so make sure you stop and find out what official rate is at tourist counter. In my experience, they will try to get more from you. Make sure you have some small bills too as they will plead not able to make change as a way to get more money! And then make sure when you talk to taxi driver that you insist that cover air conditioning too. For some reason, in southern Italy, air conditioning is not automatically assumed.

And then buckle up! The drivers are crazy!

Beth

Posted by
285 posts

We flew out of Naples in 2016. Arrived at the airport still half asleep at 4:30 a.m. for a 6:00 a.m. flight. No issues whatsoever except that since we were still half asleep, we didn't realize that you had to walk through this little mall/shopping area to get to the gates. There was no where else to go, but we weren't sure we were on the right path. Once we passed through the store area, it was clear we were in the right place. Very easy to navigate, but we were really sleepy!

Posted by
3180 posts

A pleasantly small and efficient airport. Easy and inexpensive to get to from the city. A short €6 bus ride picks you at either the main rail station or the Statione Marittima.

Posted by
71 posts

I have flown into and out of the Naples airport many times and it's always an easy experience.

A few helpful hints: if you are going there from Sorrento, make sure that you allow for plenty of time to get to the airport. In the past few years, the traffic from Sorrento to the Naples airport has gotten increasingly bad and it can take around 90 minutes to get to the airport, with long traffic jams throughout the journey. Also, when you enter the airport, it will be very crowded (much more than the Rome airport), due to the airport layout. Try not to be overwhelmed by that. Security is upstairs and is always efficient. Finally, there are plenty of food options throughout the airport. It is a small airport and easy to navigate.

Posted by
16894 posts

My experience with Naples airport after the same tour this fall was like others above, easy and not crowded in the early morning.

Our tour guide advised us to expect about 23 euros for the taxi ride from our city center hotel, or 25 maximum with a tip, and the taxi driver accepted that. I think the meter fare would have been less with the lack of traffic at that time of night/morning, but when I asked him the price he replied, "what did your guide say?", so I was happy enough to give him the cash I had prepared.

Posted by
2048 posts

We also took a bus to the airport from near the train station. It was a reasonably short ride and no troubles.