Please sign in to post.

Naples

After reading about all the crime in naples, I have to say I am a bit scared to go. My husband and I are wondering if you go with a tour group are you safer?

Posted by
32214 posts

Christie,

Naples does have a bit of a "reputation" for crime, but I never had any problems, even though I wandered around with expensive camera gear. There are undoubtedly parts of the city that one shouldn't venture into (especially at night), but other areas are quite safe. There's a higher level of unemployment in the south and correspondingly worse economic conditons, so that tends to create a greater degree of criminal activity.

Even if travelling with a tour group, there are going to be times when you're walking around on your own, so being with a group wouldn't necessarily provide a better level of protection. I have no reservations about returning to Naples and touring on my own.

One advantage of travelling that area with a tour, is that the Guide will be able to provide tour members with lots of information on safety concerns in each area.

If you're thinking of a tour the RS South Italy tour would be an excellent one to consider!

Posted by
891 posts

Christie, The RS South Italy tour on Sept 7th has availability and it looks like a great itinerary!
We took the Village Italy tour last year and loved that, so this one should be fun. Take a look,

Mimi

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you both very much. I realize that any city you go to will have crime and we would hate to miss out on a great experience so thank you for easing my mind.

Posted by
10 posts

Hi Christie!

I'm getting ready for my first trip to Italy (Napoli) too, and I have also had concerns/ reservations about crime. Part of that fear I think is being so far from home and not knowing what to expect... but you've got a great attitude! Don't let it stop you from exploring the world.

And think about the tables turned: A lot of people are afraid to come to the USA because of crime!!! I know a man from Africa whose mother begged him not to come here because she was afraid for his safety!!!

People avoid NYC because they fear crime - but the city has so much culture and personality... if you stick to Times Square, you miss the whole experience of the little boutiques and quirky restaurants....

but in the same breath, there's parts of NYC you should avoid at all costs... When in France, I ended up in a Parisian ghetto once by accident, and let me tell you... really scary....

So, I guess the question is: can someone point out on a map Neighborhoods in Napoli that tourists should be on high alert or avoid all together? Pickpocketing is everywhere of course...

Keep your chin up! Stay aware of your surroundings and I'm sure you'll be fine!! :) You will have the trip of a lifetime!!!! :)

Posted by
10 posts

Found something!!!

Metro Linea 1, built recently, connects the city center to the hill quarters, like Vomero and the hospitals area. Avoid passing through Piscinola and Secondigliano as those areas can be very dodgy and dangerous.

Read the whole article here: that seems to be the only warning, but I've just skimmed it briefly.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Naples

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks Marie, you are right, we can't just sit by and be afraid, I think of all that I would miss out on if I did that. I appreciate your insite and hope you have a wonderful experience in Naples when you go.