Please sign in to post.

Naples

After 4 intense days in Italy, and about 24 hours of Naples, I'm spending the evening in my hotel room with my feet up, too tired to do anything but type.

I cannot describe Naples. Yesterday I tried to pigeon-hole it in my head but it's like nowhere else. It just needs to be experienced. It's "in your face." This morning, as I got ready for my first full day here, I thought "second chance time" I followed Rick's self-guided walking tour and there's a lot to like here.

Things I wished someone had told me:

My hotel is at the opposite end of Piazza Garibaldi to the train station. Had I known, I could have taken the escalator down and walked through the modern station. Instead I walked on the crowded, busy, narrow, cobbled sidewalk between shoddy shops, shoddy-looking loiterers, and tables of shoddy goods for sale.

After checking in, there was just enough daylight to get to Castel Sant'Angelo (according to the official website, it's open daily to 19.30). I took the metro to Vanvitelli, then just kept walking uphill. It took about 10 minutes to get to the upper funicolare stop, then another few minutes walk (without much signage) to the entrance (irrelevant since it was too late to go in), but there's a partial viewpoint of the city, the bay and Vesuvius just below the castle. Not knowing what I was letting myself in for, I chose to walk down the staircase instead of walking back the way I came up. Bad decision. The first couple of flights of stairs are covered with broken glass (kids tossing their bottles from the parapet above, I guess), then endless stairs with little light and not much of a view, because where the staircase is not flanked by homes, there are high protective walls. After about 20 minutes of stress, both on my legs and my psyche, I came to a small private parking area. Where there are cars, there must be a road, so I gratefully abandoned the staircase and continued downhill on a somewhat easier path to the middle stop of the funicolare. Below me was another staircase (though better built and better lit) but my knees begged off, and I decided it was worth 2 euro to ride down to Montesanto. I tried to ask the agent on duty how to pay for a ticket, but he just waved me in, so I got a free ride. I walked out of the Montesanto station and around the corner and that's when Napoli hit me upside the head. I just wanted to sit down and have dinner at Da Carmine (not far from my hotel and recommended by Zoe). I was ready to take the metro, but at the Montesanto station the agent gave me a decent city map (the one from the hotel only had the historic center) and told me to walk 1/2 km to Dante instead of the train. I have no idea where I walked or how I got to Piazza Dante but I certainly saw a slice of Neapolitan life. From Dante, I walked thru Via Port' Alba and then along via Tribunali only to find that Da Carmine is only open from Wednesday-Saturday. I soldiered on, albeit limping a bit, and decided I would sit down at the very next cafe or bar I found and have a drink, but there was no cafe, there was no bar, there were only shops, many of them closed. At some point I found myself heading in the general direction of Da Michele, so that became my destination. If I couldn't have a nice pasta dinner, pizza would suffice. The holy grail was arrived at, but the line outside was too long for my feet to agree, so I opted for Trianon. The service was quick, the place was quiet and comfortable and the pizza was edible if nothing to write home about. From there it was only a few minutes' walk to my hotel along pretty deserted streets. I did take a slightly longer route to use a major street. It was only about 9.15 but the side streets were completely deserted. I kept reminding myself that fear is a mental state and divorced from reality.

I'm out of space. Sorry for the length, I'm too tired to be terse. Today was good, and Da Carmine was open for lunch and great.

Posted by
439 posts

I thought it was like NYC in the late 70's, early 80's.

Posted by
2455 posts

Chani, Chani, Chani, Shalom! So, the Trianon pizza was not good enough to write home about, but good enough to write to us about! Sounds like you are having a memorable and exhausting time in Italy, even the day in Napoli will end up being memorable. Keep us posted on your progress. I spent this past Saturday and Sunday at the Travel and Adventure Show in Santa Clara, including hearing the real live RS speak, very well as always, and having some time to chat with him. The show is like being able to visit China, India, Guatemala, Indonesia, Italy, Romania, Yosemite, Pismo Beach, and many other spots all on the same day, sort of. Packing tips, airline tips, travel photography tips, even an RS $100 Coupon Code for trips booked by the end of this month, we'll see if I can get it together to plan some future RS trip, I do love a discount! Enjoy it all, Chani!

Posted by
2393 posts

Sounds like an adventure for sure! Enjoy the remainder of your visit.

Posted by
16893 posts

Great example of how travelers run into little obstacles and misunderstandings and sometimes just need to "take it in stride." And of how the feet are the week point in many a day-plan.

Posted by
3207 posts

Chani, I am so envious. Naples has been calling me for several years now...

Posted by
7049 posts

Chani,
I hope Naples will grow on you. If nothing else, it will be seared in your memory because it's anything but subtle. I felt the same way walking in several non-touristed parts of Istanbul looking for my apartment on my first day. I remember the sensory overload, the people spilling out in all directions, the curved old streets, and the extreme heat - it took me a few months just to let that trip sink in and really appreciate it. In Naples, I had to stop and drink double espressos every few hours just to keep my head from exploding (and to keep going). It's definitely a place where you just have to let things roll and not let anything exasperate you...since you've already gotten a taste of local life, perhaps no need to walk the Spaccanapoli. It seems like you were a stone's throw from Certosa di San Martino - that was one of my favorite places in Naples. Enjoy the rest of your stay - I'm sure all your experiences, even the unpleasant and painful ones, are not for naught. I look forward to your future reports!

Posted by
32198 posts

Chani,

It's great that you've made it to Naples. I agree, it's a very different Italian city and has to be "experienced". It sounds like this will be a most memorable destination for you.

Posted by
4794 posts

Chani, Wow! Sounds like an experience you'll not soon forget. I'm so glad that everything turned out ok. After a day like that, you have my permission to start the next day with a glass of wine with breakfast.

Posted by
15576 posts

Today I went to Caserta. What a change from Naples! A huge palace with way too many rooms (some stunning, some interesting, some neither) to walk through. It was built to rival Versailles, and maybe it does in sheer size. It is impressive, especially the grand marble staircase. The gardens are also huge, not terribly interesting but really really big. I enjoyed walking through a bit of the English garden. The sun shone all day, the temp was about 16, perfect day. At the end of the visit, I didn't feel I had time to explore more of Caserta, so it was back to raucous Naples to see the San Severo Chapel (closed yesterday when it was on my RS walk), and well worth it. Thank you Harold for recommending it so highly. It was pretty early for dinner so I figured (rightly as it turned out) that Da Michele would not be crowded. Once more, I traversed Spaccanapoli. The pizza was better than Trianon, but still not as good at Margaret du Champ in Venice. When the waiter brought change, he pointedly said that service was not included and I could tip if I liked. Thanks, TC, but Da Michele doesn't serve wine, so I had to make do with a couple bottles of birra - the pizza was so big, one bottle wasn't enough :-)

I heard a loud crowd in the street below my room, thought it might be a demonstration, so I dragged my weary self over to the balcony - there were about 50 people crowded around a shop front a few doors down watching a sporting event. My guess is that it was a football match and someone had just scored a goal. All is pretty quiet now, though I'm on a busy street just a few meters from Piazza Garibaldi. I don't think there were even 50 people at the Caserta palace today.

Posted by
1 posts

I'm looking for recommendations for walking tours in Napoli. We will be thee early May.

Posted by
29 posts

I was excited to see Naples, as that's where my mother's family originates. The second I got off the train in Naples, a mobster-looking man put his hand in my pocket. I was there during a trash strike and EVERY corner had a 5 foot high pile of trash. The whole city reeked of rotting garbage. Priceless artifacts in the National museum were un-signed and covered in dust bunnies. And yet? I enjoyed it. Naples isn't for everyone. But there is a certain authenticity there for people open to its charms.

Posted by
11613 posts

I was in Napoli the year of the trash "strike" (not a strike but the Cammorra wouldn't let the trash trucks unload at the dump sites), with piles of garbage higher than my head.

I've been back every year since then, no further issues.

Posted by
11294 posts

Glad you liked the Cappella Sansevero. And sorry Naples hit you so hard. For me it wasn't quite as traumatic, but it certainly is an intense and "in your face" experience. I always quote my Cadogan guide - "the only subtle thing about Naples is its charm." That was certainly the case for me - I stayed for three nights and ended up liking it and remember it fondly, but on arrival I didn't think positively of it.

Posted by
15576 posts

Harold - I really started left-footed and that's what I wrote about. First a very dicey looking obstacle course from the train to the hotel. Then an uncomfortable descent from Castel Sant'Angelo into what I have since discovered is the heart of the Spanish Quarter (which you'd "suggested" I avoid). Once I found my way to Piazza Dante, Napoli began to grab me . . . first the block of interesting book stores, then walking along via Tribunali, tired and discombobulated as I was, I eventually realized that I was walking through a medieval town. I may have made it sound worse than it really was. It was more disconcerting because Napoli is so decidedly different from any other place I've been to in Italy - or any other country for that matter.

The next day I did Rick's self-guided walking tour. I made one small, but disastrous, wrong turn, which led me right into the Valentine's Day chocolate fair . . . chocolates, macarons, and cookies a la Bretagne. Somewhat lighter in the pocketbook and heavier in the backpack, I got back on track. . . . loved the cloister at Santa Chiara and the presepe (nativity scene). I don't know why Rick says it's not worth the 6 euro entry fee - and toilet included.

On my last full day, I spent most of my time at the archaeology museum (packed with school groups in the morning, so I kept heading for empty galleries, hit or miss, which was fine for a return visit. Then at noon, they all left and the place was blissfully quiet and nearly empty. Lunch back at da Carmine and then Underground Naples.

If I'd had more nights in Naples, I'm sure I would have liked spending more time there, but I have no regrets about experiencing the city or leaving it. I wasn't pickpocketed or cheated and I was only assaulted once - by some kids on scooters (maybe 11-12 years old, probably on electric bikes) with a can of spray foam, like the stuff kids use on Halloween I think. It was pretty close to my hotel and when I took off my jacket to see what it was, it was gone. That's how they were "celebrating" Valentine's Day. It's become very commercial in Naples - all the shops had holiday decorations and the bakeries had red and/or heart-shaped cakes and cookies. I even saw some heart-shaped pizze.

And a big thank you to Zoe for the recommendations.

Posted by
11613 posts

And a big you're welcome, Chani. I am so happy you enjoyed my beloved Napoli, and da Carmine!

Posted by
5202 posts

Chani,

I hope your feet are feeling better, and may the rest of your adventures be more enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing!

How's the gelato in Napoli?

Posted by
15576 posts

I didn't eat gelato in Napoli, just lots of pizza and pasta. When I got to Salerno, I had good gelato near my hotel - it must be one of the best in town, since there are always people outside and cars double parked in front. Today I had the best gelato ever and an exquisite cannolo at Tenuta Vannulo Buffalo Farm just a couple kms from Paestum. I was going to stop again on my way back from Paestum but by the time I finally tore myself away from the awe-inspiring Greek temples, weekend traffic was at a crawl and it was too late.

Posted by
661 posts

I bet the foam was for Carnevale, I always have to watch out for the "schiuma" around that time....yes, kinda like our Halloween, I see my facebook friends' kids in their costumes around now....

Were you in Nettuno in Salerno? that's a delicious one!!

Sound like an adventurous trip!

Posted by
15576 posts

I'm sure the foam was for Carnevale. There were traces of foam and confetti everywhere I went in Italy. And yes, the gelato was at Nettuno.

Posted by
2466 posts

Chani,
What is the name of your hotel in Naples? I booked a room for two nights - April 1 and 2 on Zoe's advice - at the StarHotel Terminus. I really don't know where it is. Just wondered if it is the same hotel.

Judy B

Posted by
285 posts

Great read! Flying into Naples for the first time at the end of May, but staying in Sorrento. Likely will spend a day in Naples proper either by train or by hydrofoil.

Haven't deciding on car rental yet, but we can get door to door hotel service from Naples airport for 80 Euro and that seems reasonable for me rather than a combination of trains/buses/etc..

Posted by
11613 posts

StarHotel Terminus is right across the street from the front of Napoli Centrale station. You can see it from the curb, on the left side of the mall area.