Please sign in to post.

Naples

I'm a woman traveling alone and arriving in Naples at 11pm. Should I be concerned about safety if taking a taxi to my hotel?

Posted by
253 posts

Naples is not a real tourist-friendly town. It is the one place I have to be on my guard every instant and I have still had my bags grabbed, waiters try to overcharge me, plus a counterfeit switch of bills pulled on me. And I am a 6'4" guy.

Hate to say it, but yes, I would be very concerned.

Posted by
440 posts

Deborah, I would imagine that there will be a lot of people around at the airport so taking the taxi should be fine. Unlike another poster, I had absolutely no causes for concern in Naples. I am a tall,solo travelling 61 year old female, and loved Naples. Walked everywhere; got lost; found myself; would love to return.

Posted by
1829 posts

The biggest problem may be persuading the taxi driver that there is an official fixed rate fare from the airport to your hotel! If you do pick up a taxi at the airport agree the fare before you get in the cab.

http://www.portal.gesac.it/portal/page/portal/internet/inAEROPORTO/Trasporti/Taxi/TARIFFE_TAXI-agg.pdf

My advice, for what it's worth, is to ask your hotel to arrange a private transfer for you. If you are lucky it should not be more than a few euro above the official airport to city rate taxi rate. For peace of mind it would be worth it.

Posted by
1829 posts

Further to my previous post, the system will not let me edit it at the moment. Page 2 of the download has the information in English.