Please sign in to post.

Naples

What section of Naples is recommended for lodging for walking access to historical area? We are concerned about safety but not neurotic about it.
We will be arriving by train. Thank you.

Posted by
2257 posts

My husband and I love Naples and actually stayed in an apartment IN the Spanish quarter last time we were there. I would probably recommend staying near Piazza Dante or somewhere between there and the Toledo metro stop. You'll be in a great area. We were traveling by train and walking on our trips to Naples, though we did venture onto the buses a little bit as well.

Posted by
1025 posts

Rick Steves' Italy guide has some great choices. Try a couple of them for rates and availability.

Posted by
1538 posts

We loved staying for a week just half a block off of Via dei Tribunali right where Sorbillo pizzeria is. It was easy walking distance to everything we wanted to see, so we never took any public transportation.

I always feel like I should add that this was in December, not during summer. But nothing felt scary or chaotic or unusually dirty or "on steroids" or anything. We enjoyed Naples tremendously and did no day trips. Great street food.

Posted by
2088 posts

The metro which leaves from the train station is great and takes you into the more desirable neighborhoods. Look at the metro map to see which stop will be closest to the lodging you choose. Naples is very interesting and felt overall safe to me.

Posted by
15773 posts

I took the advice of our dear departed Zoe, and stayed in a low-cost place a couple blocks from the train station. It was a few minutes' walk to the historic center. The most dangerous thing about being in Naples is crossing the street. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be fine. Be as aware of petty theft as you would be in any other city. While the area around the train station isn't scenic and sometimes looks seedy, it was perfectly fine. The only thing I didn't much like was that there was no bus line available so I ended up taking the same walking route back to the hotel after dinner every night and it got boring.

Posted by
315 posts

In Centro B & B via Toledo 156. We stay in 2017 for 4 nts. See reviews on Booking.com. The lodging is inside an building with a locked door and a man to say hello to every entry.

Posted by
393 posts

Our long stay was in Salerno. We stayed one night in Naples before flying and stayed at:
Dimora Delle Arti
Via Santa Maria di Costantinopoli, 30
Naples, Italy 80138
+39081450573

We booked through Hotels.com
The place was nice. The room was spacious with a desk and dressers for drawer storage, plus a closet for lots of hanging space.
We left too early for breakfast, so don't know about that.
It was just south of the Archaeology Museum and NE of Dante