Please sign in to post.

Murano and Burano

Has anyone done the Dark Rome Half-Day Venetian Islands tour of Murano and Burano? I'm thinking about booking this for a Sunday, so the tour would be from 2:30 - 7:30 pm. Will shops and such be closed on a late Sunday afternoon on these islands? The Dark Rome tour looks like you'll have a bit of free time to wander the streets, but I wanted to make sure places wouldn't be closed.

Posted by
4794 posts

Lindsay, We've not taken that tour, but we've been to the islands many times and they are very easy to do on your own. The RS guide book may or may not have info about a DIY walking tour. It definitely has info about the islands themselves. Depending on where you are staying in Venice, the trip over can be long or short depending on where you catch the vap. Doing it on your own is easy-peasy -- let me know if you need specifics.

Posted by
3696 posts

I would do it on my own too... it is easy. I have only been to Burano and really enjoyed it. Very quaint and colorful little town. I would choose one, go there, and if when you are done with it, move on to the other... or you can just stay in one.

Posted by
2455 posts

Lindsay, Dark Rome is a good tour company with excellent guides, and the cost of their tour is quite reasonable, so it's not a bad idea. A guide will lead you around, and this way you will not get lost. However, you can easily do this on your own with even less cost, and more flexibility. Be aware that if you already have a vaporetto pass for a certain number of days, it includes the boats to Murano, Burano and the other islands at no additional cost. Also, my experience is that wandering around these two islands. beyond the main tourist and commercial areas, is some of the most fun, also the best photo opportunities. On Murano, try to go as far as the San Donato Church, a beautiful church and a much less commercial, touristed area, more local environment. Likewise in Burano, the residential areas are the most colorful and lovely, with laundry hanging in front of small, pastel-colored homes. If on your own, you can also go to bucolic Torcello island and its ancient church complex, where Venice was founded, just a 5-minute vaporetto ride from Burano, as well as the cemetery island of San Michele. Of course, doing a lot of this would take more than 5 hours total, including the vaporettos back and forth.

Posted by
11613 posts

I agree to add Torcello. Terry Kathryn, I can't believe you haven't been there! Such great potential for beautiful photographs,