Please sign in to post.

Munich to northern Italy

I want to spend a couple of days in Munich, Germany (to visit friends) in early October, then fly from Munich to northern Italy.

Once in northern Italy, I want to take the train to a few great places, then fly out, perhaps from Rome. I'll only have 7 days in Italy, so would like to focus on 3 different towns, and feel like Verona and Bologna should be two of them. I need some suggestions!

Posted by
15156 posts

From MUC you can fly to Venice, Verona, Bologna, Milan, Florence, and of course Rome. You can also take the train from Munich to those locations (a bit longer journey).
If you have never traveled to Italy, Venice, Florence, and Rome are the most visited by tourists. Verona is also visited by many. Milan has the second most visitors after Rome, but most are business travelers.
However you don’t have time to visit all in just seven days. You need at least 2 days for Venice and 2 for Florence. One full day for Verona. And at least 3 in Rome.
If you take the train Verona, Bologna, Florence, Rome are along the rail itinerary coming from Munich to Rome. Venice is a bit of a detour to the east.
For flights from Munich look into Lufthansa or their partner Air Dolomiti (which operates most of Lufthansa flights from Munich to Italy).

Posted by
2 posts

I've been to Rome and Florence, so I think I'd like to focus on other locations that I have not visited yet. I want to see some nature, so perhaps flying to the Piedmont region, then taking the train to a couple other towns might be a good idea. Suggestions welcomed!

Posted by
15156 posts

In just 7 days, I’d concentrate on Venice and Verona then.
In between them, the cities of Padua and Vicenza are also worth a visit.
Near Verona there is also lake Garda and the gorgeous Dolomites (reachable by bus from Bolzano, along the Munich to Verona railway).
You can fly back to US from Venice (3rd busiest airport after Rome and Milan), they also have non stop flights from VCE to JFK, ATL, PHL, EWR.
Verona is the AirDolomiti hub, so you can return from VRN airport as well (likely via MUC).

Posted by
20074 posts

I want to see some nature

Then you should go by train from Munich to Bolzano, then take the bus up to the Val Gardena, thinking Ortisei for 2 nights. Then take the bus back to Bolzano and continue by train to Verona for 2 nights. Now that leaves 3 more nights to get to Rome. Maybe 2 nights in Tuscany, then to Rome for the last night before flying out.

Posted by
871 posts

Flights can be checked on www.skyscanner.com

If planning to rent a car in Bolzano, it is strongly advised to use Hertz at the airport. The agencies close to the station are sub-standard.

Posted by
32201 posts

cc,

Rather than fly from Munich to Italy, I would highly recommend travel by train through the beautiful Brenner Pass. It's a great trip and I doubt you'd save any time. A flight will also likely be more expensive and most definitely more of a hassle.

For example, there's a direct departure from Munich to Verona Porta Nuova at 09:35, arriving Verona Porta Nuova at 14:58 (time 5H:23M). You could spend a few days in Verona, move to Bologna for a few days and then finish your trip with a few days in Rome. Very easy!

Posted by
11153 posts

You started off with Verona and Bologna, good choices! You could add Parma very easily.