Please sign in to post.

Mt. Etna

We want to take a half-day tour of Mt. Etna. I'd like to hear from someone about the tour company you used. I have looked at some on the Internet, but I'd llike to hear some personal experiences Thanks!

Posted by
2829 posts

Sincerely, the best way to visit Etna is to rent a car for one day, so that you can stop in smaller villages or take back roads around the mountain. There is a "base station" (Sapienza) from where you can get a gondola up to the mountain and, weather and volcano activity allowing, excursions further up to the vicinity of the crater. If you are not looking for (serious) hiking/trekking excursions, most companies will just take you to Spaienza and from there you'd be on your own as well.

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks for the information! I appreciate your help. Dena

Posted by
1501 posts

I was staying in Taormina and hired a driver who was a local. If you're staying there, PM me, and I'll give you his contact info. He's a local, informal driver, as nice as he can be, speaks perfect English. It was a fun day, and make sure you're hungry enough for
Arancini (Rice Ball) at the cafe at the top. If it's lunch, have one each, if it's a snack, split it. It's the size and shape of a pear! Delicious!

Posted by
1501 posts

Forgot! Bring a jacket! It will be at least 20 degrees cooler up there, and it is spectacular!

Posted by
1501 posts

Forgot! Bring a jacket! It will be at least 20 degrees cooler up there, and it is spectacular!

Posted by
1501 posts

Forgot! Bring a jacket, it's definitely @20 degrees cooler up there, and it IS spectacular!