Please sign in to post.

mosquitos

OK, so I'm due to meet my wife in Rome in about a week and a half. After studying in Corciano for the past 7 weeks, she tells me that the mosquito situation is pretty bad, and that DEET doesn't seem to work too well. Any ideas or suggestions on something I can bring with me from the U.S.?

Posted by
368 posts

DEET should force any mosquito away if used correctly and in a high enough concentration. I have lived in Florida and Alberta (two of the worst places I have ever seen for mosquitoes) and have never had a problem with DEET.

I would look for a higher concentration that is at least 25% and preferably higher. Also make sure to re-apply as per the canisters recommendations.

Posted by
10344 posts

Re mosquitos, it really helps to sleep in an air-conditioned room, so that you can keep the windows closed when sleeping, because (unlike here, and unbelievably to the un-initiated into Italian ways) window screens are not common in Italian hotels.

Posted by
319 posts

I have OFF and that has been keeping the dang thing off me for some time. Italian bug repelant tends to be naturally based (citronella) rather than DEET like we ususally use in the states. I had AVONs sunscreen with bug repelant last summer. It worked really good too.