Please sign in to post.

Mosquitos?

We plan to visit Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome and Naples/Pompeii in late July/early August. How much of a problem will mosquitos and other biting insects be? Thanks.

Posted by
23267 posts

In the cities, no problem. In the countryside, near some water, in the evening, about the same problem as the US. Take some repellant with you.

Posted by
606 posts

It might be easier to buy repellent once you get there, if you find you need it. It's available in most supermarkets and perhaps some smaller shops.

Repellent you might find in Italy has less Deet in it, compared to what you can buy in the US, so Italian repellents might not be quite as effective. But it may still be easier to use theirs than to carry it to Italy with you.

Posted by
712 posts

I took repellant that came in wipes last summer instead of a spray. They sold them in boxes at our local supermaket. I think they were made by Off. They didn't take up much room and ere very good.

Posted by
3313 posts

Mosquitoes can be a problem in Venice. Otherwise, I'd say similar to here.

Posted by
261 posts

We only noticed mosquito problems around Naples. Garbage was a bigger problem around Naples!

Posted by
35 posts

We just returned from Italy and had no problems in Venice with mosquitos but I think it was due to the rainy cooler weather. We encountered mosquitos in Florence but we had bug repellant with us so it was managable.

Posted by
70 posts

I was just in Venice on 6/16-18, it was rainy, and I got 6 mosquito bites. I am allergic to them and they seem to be attracted to my sweetness! but these bites were doozies.

I had taken Off with me, but didn't put it on the first day and that is when they got me. I also noticed mosquitoes on the breakfast patio at my hotel in Rome but I was covered then!

Posted by
2297 posts

We just came back from a trip to Rome, Sorrento, Tuscany and Cinque Terre. In most places and in the cities for sure mosquitos aren't a problem. But in the Tuscan country side we ran out of our repellant and got eaten alive!