Please sign in to post.

Monterosso accommdations in July 2012

Hi, I am looking into accommodations in either Hotel Punta Mesca or Hotel Colonnina in Monterosso. Can anyone make recommendations as to which is better for solo woman traveller? Has anyone stayed in either hotel recently and can comment on either, or both? Thanks.

Posted by
11507 posts

Giselle, have you even seen if they have a vacancy at this point? And did you read the hotel reviews on tripadvisor.com
Just google "trip reviews Hotel Punta Mesca " or for the other place.

Posted by
16 posts

I have been reading a lot of Trip advisor reviews and find it hard to decide. Both have availability as of yesterday. Just wondering about people's experiences... as this might help me figure out which is better for me. I love character and accessibility to sights and train station.

Posted by
32318 posts

Giselle, For travel in July 2012, I would suggest getting a booking SOON in whichever one you can!!! For travel to Monterosso, I usually start looking for rooms in March, for travel in September! If you're unable to find a vacancy there, have a look at the other Hotels on the Monterosso website. If you need further suggestions beyond the two places you mentioned, post another note. I haven't checked, but both Hotels you listed should have a Map showing their location relative to the rail station. Good luck!

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks for your suggestions. I will stay at Hotel Colonnina. Any other suggestions about Cinque Terra, the gentler hikes, restaurants, etc would be appreciated. Does anyone know of a good massage therapist in that area. I want to be prepared in case I need one! Thanks,
Giselle

Posted by
32318 posts

Giselle, The "gentlest" hike is the famous Via dell'Amore, which runs from Riomaggiore to Manarola. It's mostly flat and paved, so not strenuous at all. There's a Bar part way along, where you can stop for a "cool one", a glass of Vino or a Panino, and just enjoy the fantastic view. You can easily take the local trains from Monterosso to the other towns, and then hike whichever trails appeal to you. Some of the other trails are considerably more challenging (especially the one from Monterosso to Vernazza). One point to note is that a Park Pass is compulsory to hike any of the trails. You can buy that at the small booths at the beginning of the trails, or usually at the train stations in each town. Regarding Massage Therapists, there are two listed on page 372 of the Italy 2012 Guidebook (Stephanie & Kate). Regarding restaurants, I really enjoyed L'Alta Marea (Via Roma, old town) and Ristorante Belvedere (old town). In the new town, Miky and Cantina di Miky seem to get good ratings, and I'll likely be trying both on my next visit. One point to mention about Belvedere - be prepared for the "sound of thunder" periodically during your meal, as the trains pass directly overhead. It's not a big deal once you get used to it. Cheers!