Please sign in to post.

Montepulciano

Hi! We are traveling to Montepulciano from Cinque Terre.
I have a question about the best way to get there, we have to go back to Rome on a Sunday and I keep reading different posts that say there is no transportation on Sunday’s.
Is the best way to get there by renting a car or is there any other way?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posted by
4209 posts

You might need a taxi to the train station depending on where you are staying in Montepulciano. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with the train system before you go, as presumably you'll be using the train for other legs of this journey. Just search your specific dates on the Trenitalia website--I see trains on a random Sunday.
https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

Posted by
4105 posts

Are you saying you will be traveling from Cinque Terre to Rome with a stop in Montepulciano all on a Sunday?

Most rental agency are closed on Sunday.
The trains do however run from La Spezia to Rome

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you so much!
Do you recommend certain car rentals? Some of those I see are closed on Sunday’s
We are considering maybe just renting a car but parking may be tricky. We are staying at Mueble III Riccio as we watched the video from Rick Steves

Posted by
8 posts

We will be staying in Montepulciano for 2 nights, then headed to Rome on Sunday.
If car rentals are closed on Sunday then we may need a private transfer.

Posted by
4209 posts

Carmen, please share your complete itinerary and make clear what you are asking. People will bend over backward to help, but we are not mind readers. Your hotel is outside of Montepulciano, so you do need a car. Share your itinerary so we can make suggestions of where and when to get the car.

Posted by
8 posts

I mentioned before we are staying for 2 nights at Mueble III Riccio from Friday to Sunday. We need to be in Rome early Monday to head back home.

Posted by
4209 posts

Sorry--we were writing posts at the same time. You can easily get from Montepulciano to Rome on a Sunday (see the schedule on the Trenitalia website). I am not sure where Cinque Terre comes into play. Where are you before--How are you getting to Montepulciano? It is not somewhere I would want to be without a car.

Posted by
8 posts

Everything else has been mapped out. The only trouble I’m having is getting to Montepulciano.
I am guessing from Siena I Can get a private transfer.

Posted by
11052 posts

Which town in the Cinque Terre do you need transportation from to go to Montipulciano?

Posted by
11052 posts

You should look at the options of train, bus or rental car from the Cinque Terre to Montepulciano. How are getting around the rest of your trip including to Cinque Terre? We always have a rental car. Just left it parked in the big lot in Monterosso the whole time we were there.

Posted by
5953 posts

ETA--Never mind now I see you are heading to Rome on Sunday.

From CT to Montepulciano you can take a train with several changes La Spezia-Pisa-Empoli-Siena-Montepulciano -almost 6 hours. Then you will need a taxi to take you up into Montepulciano and back to train station for your train to Rome. All those trains run on Sunday.

Have you looked on Trenitalia
https://www.trenitalia.com/content/tcom/en.html
Put La Spezia as your departure, Montepulciano arrival

You'll need to get to La Spezia from whichever town in CT you are staying

If you are OK with renting a car you might consider renting in La Spezia- driving to Montepulciano-about 3 hours (Check parking at your hotel, parking is difficult in Montepulciano) then just drive to Rome on Sunday to drop the car as all the small town rental agencies will be closed on Sunday.
You might want/need a car while in Montepulciano anyway if you intend to see any more of the countryside.

We love Montepulciano but wouldn't plan to visit there without a car. Too hard to get to /from.
Maybe consider Siena instead?

Mueble III Riccio is lovely and does offer parking- parking is outside the walls I believe. You would need to reserve with them

Posted by
5953 posts

I see that now edited my post

We always rent our cars with AutoEurope.com.
All drivers must have an IDP- International Driving Permit that you can get at your local AAA and be sure to do your homework regarding driving in Italy.

Posted by
7123 posts

Hi, I’m not much help on your transportation option, but just wanted to comment that the entrance courtyard for your hotel, Meublé Il Riccio, is beautiful. I stepped in and took a photo when I was staying in Montepulciano.

If you arrive by bus or car, one of the best bargains is to stop into the bus stop little quick stop and purchase a ticket for the arancio (orange) small shuttle buses. It will take you all of the way up to Piazza Grande at the top of the steep hill. Then just walk to the far side of the piazza, and your hotel is just off of the piazza.

When I traveled to/from Montepulciano, I took the train to the Chiusi-chianciano station and caught a bus there to Montepulciano. (I was coming from Arezzo and left to go to Lucca.). You can catch a bus at Montepulciano to go over to Pienza, also.

Posted by
5953 posts

the entrance courtyard for your hotel, Meublé Il Riccio, is
beautiful. I stepped in and took a photo when I was staying in
Montepulciano.

I took that same picture last spring! It's a great location.