Please sign in to post.

Montepulciano

Hello,

I am looking for a place to stay in Montepulciano for 3 couples from Sept. 24-27, 2018. Unfortunately the suggestions in the 2018 edition are booked. Any suggestions. Somewhere with a great view.

Thanks!

Posted by
23245 posts

Go see the coppersmith in Montepulciano and tell me if he is still alive.

Posted by
15146 posts

Montepulciano is super popular with Rick Steves’ followers so the places suggested by RS are likely to be booked quickly.
Try to do a search with Trivago.com or Booking.com or other website and see what they have available for your dates. Also visit the hotel websites to see if they have rooms with view.
I also presume you have a car. A car is highly advisable to visit that area, which is very rural with limited bus service. Also some accommodations may not be walking distance from the town center.

Posted by
1206 posts

Check the Politician apartments. www.politian.com. I've stayed there twice: lovely, well-located apartments; great people run them; spacious and comfortable. Some have one bedroom; some have two bedrooms; a combination of one, two or three apartments might work well for you all. I find the photos and descriptions on the website quite accurate for what we experienced there.
Oh, and as of summer 2016 the coppersmith was quite alive and quite still active in the shop and making some of the pieces sold there. Once again, I bought a magnificent pot that sits on my stove and I use several times every week. However in 2016 it seemed he was slowing down; his son was doing more running of the business and he was contracting out the actual manufacture of many of the pans and pots sold in the shop to some other artisans in the area.

Posted by
3961 posts

Another shout out to visit the amazing coppersmith Cesare Mazzetti.

We were there in 2006 with a tour group. Several of us chose his amazing "Grape ice bucket." Memorable experience we will never forget.

Posted by
121 posts

Frank, we were there in October 2017 and he was still going strong.

Posted by
114 posts

Went last week, he wasn't there. I'm guessing his wife.

Posted by
23245 posts

About five years ago we bought a copper plate about 5' in diameter to hang over our fireplace. We have our picture with him, toured his little museum, and then realized that he is last of his line. Hate to see these types of craft men dying off.

Posted by
78 posts

Try Palazzo Bellarmine. They are self catering apartments literally a 2 minute walk from the duomo at the top of the hill. I have stayed there 3 times and highly recommend it. They have one and two bedroom units that are very spacious. Parking is free in the nearby lot

Posted by
194 posts

Frank, I'm happy to report that Cesare was alive and well last month when we visited him in his workshop on a rainy morning in Montepulciano. Wandering around, we heard a distinctive "ping! ping!" coming from inside a nondescript doorway and peeked in. There he was, all alone, working on some gorgeous copper ladles (which he told us were for some fancy chef in New York). For the next 45 minutes, he acted like we were the only people that mattered, showing us around his shop, demonstrating a bit of his craft, and custom making little commemorative copper disks for us to keep.

He seemed most proud of the letters he received from some of the young couples who have visited him over the years. He instructs them to place the copper disk he gives them under their pillows once they return home. He only spoke Italian, but after showing us lots of baby photos from those past visitors and hearing him use the term "frisky-frisky" a few times as he winked at us, it became clear that those disks are made for a specific purpose. We're all in our mid-fifties, so not sure they'll work for us like they did for some of his younger visitors, but when the time comes for our kids to start their own families, we'll be happy to lend them Cesare's little copper disk to put under their pillows. It certainly couldn't hurt!

Posted by
203 posts

If you're still looking for a place to stay, you might consider vrbo.com or airbnb.com

Posted by
32 posts

I would definitely suggest the Montorio property. 5 separate apartments. Beyond beautiful views. 5 min walk to Montepulciano. Google montorio.com or see it in Air bnb. Owner is a charm!

Posted by
104 posts

If you are willing to stay in an Agriturismo, take a look at Agriturismo Nobile. They are only about 5 minutes south of Montepulciano, and they offer free shuttle service to the town, so if you don't have a car, it is still easy to get there.

Posted by
1 posts

We stayed here http://www.borgosanluigi.it/ in 2017. Great accommodations, but off the beaten path. We had a car. I would highly recommend entering latitude and longitude as GPS did not recognize the address. Great pool, breakfast, lunch and dinner available onsite.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks you so much suggestions. We are going to stay at Agriturismo Nobile. We appreciate the time you have taken to assist us. Any suggestions for Florence? We are 3 couples and plan on staying for 4 days. Thank you.

Posted by
34 posts

i am staying at Politian and am now really hoping to met Cesare at his shop. his works look amazing!

Posted by
113 posts

Villa Poggiano. We have stayed there multiple time. Outside of town, about 2 miles so you will need a car, but a wonderful location with a pool and a wonderful view. One of the best places we have stayed in Europe. Definitely a 5 star property. You can privately message me if you want more into. They may not have rooms at this point but worth the try.

here is here web site: http://www.villapoggiano.com/en/#
Enjoy
John
Tell them that John and Cindy from Seattle recommended you stay there.

Posted by
20 posts

If you are still looking for a place to stay in Florence try Poggio Imperiale Apartments, www.poggioimperiale.fi.it. Across the river in the Oltrarno area. Close to the Boboli Gardens, beautiful property. Just read the reply above mine, see it's a must for you to stay here.

Posted by
277 posts

Agriturismo LeCaggiole. Great place, great people, great food. About 3 miles from the city.
We stayed there several years ago, and became fast friends. We returned a couple of years later to attend their wedding. That is the kind of people they are.

Wife is going back there in just a few days.

You wont be disappointed.

Jeff

Posted by
34 posts

thank you all, really looking forward to looking into these.

and we will have a car, but being both of us love wine there is a nil chance we'll be driving ourselves to the wineries :)

Posted by
253 posts

We just had a very nice stay at Dimora dell' Erbe right in the center of Montepulciano on Piazza Erbe. Small Piazza view. A modern B&B with 2 easy flights to get to. Large updated room and bathroom. https://www.dimoradellerbe.it/en/
You get a voucher for breakfast to use at either of two very good cafes including the historic Caffe Poliziano with spectacular views!!. Was nice to stay right in the town.
Looks like they have availability on your dates. If one or two of the couples rents the apartment you get access to the rooftop terrace!!
We loved Montepulciano and that B&B.