Please sign in to post.

Money question

Please explain how much cash I should take to Italy. Rick said in his book to take US currency in $20 bills. However, someone on the forum said no one would take US currency in Italy. I am leaving on Friday and need to know what cash to take (US or Euros) and how much.

Thank you!

Posted by
1734 posts

The main reason to take some US cash is in case there's a temporary problem with your ATM or credit card, and you might need cash when you get back to the US. I take about $200. and I've never used it in Europe. Get the Euros you need from an ATM when you arrive as the exchange rates in the US are a rip-off. It would be nice to have 50 or 100 Euros from a previous trip when you land just in case, but not really necessary.

Posted by
4152 posts

I only take about $100 with me but that's not for use in Europe, no one in Europe will take it as payment just as we wouldn't take euros as payment here for anything. It's for the trip home, in case I need it at the airport in the U.S.

I also take about 100 euros with me to use for the first day if needed. Once in Europe find an ATM and take out euros as needed.

Donna

Posted by
8187 posts

The dollar can't be spent in Europe but it is handy to have a little cash backup for worst case scenarios. I would get 100 Euros from your own bank before you go in small denominations not a 100 Euro bill. This gives you a little security till you can use an ATM. And that you are asking this question suggests you need to read a guide book to get a better idea of how things work; it will make planning your trip and travel much easier. Note particularly the rules for public transport which vary from place to place and the basic rules of polite interaction which are a bit different in Europe than the US.

Posted by
792 posts

Also, let your bank know you are traveling. And confirm your limit on ATM withdrawals. This is usually not an issue unless you have to pay for a long hotel stay in cash. Have a great trip!

Posted by
5021 posts

We usually do the same as Donna, but try to have $200 emergency stash and 200 Euro to get started.

Posted by
5837 posts

Note that this question seems to have been asked in three different variations with responses to each of the three.

As explained, Rick's USD emergency cash advice is intended as an emergency bridge to resolving your ATM cash problem should your ATM card fail to work in Italy. Italy seems to be more cash oriented than countries like Switzerland or Scandinavia where credit cards are the normal form of payment. That said, if your big expenses (hotels) are pre-paid or payable by credit card, your daily cash needs are more for cafes and dining. In that case, $200 USD converted to EUR at a FX kiosk rate could be adequate for two or three days of small cash purchases.

On the other hand, if you need to pay cash (Euros) for lodging, you should have back up ATM cards and accounts or a trusted form of obtaining Euros.

Posted by
3 posts

I usually take about $200. I always thought it rather unnecessary, until near the end of a three week trip my ATM card wouldn't work in Venice. I realized it had expired at the end of the month in which I started the trip and the new card hadn't arrived before I left home. I wanted to take my boys on a gondola ride and I couldn't use a credit card for that.

Has anyone else on this thread noticed a lot of places in Italy give cash discounts for things? No, not everywhere just more places than I've seen in the States that aren't just secondhand shops or something-I mean places like actual hotels. Traveling with enough cash to cover what I was doing was a good idea since in the end I saved money and had less ATM drama even though it was always good to have my card as a backup and for other stuff. I used a moneybelt like people recommended to me. And yeah, they won't take dollars in Europe, they use Euros and I think those are still worth a little bit more than the USD. How long are you going for? Is your lodging paid for? It's had to think of a cash amount without knowing that. And where you're going _ your plans etc.

Posted by
228 posts

Lodging is paid for except 4 nights which the host requires in cash, tours and concert are paid. We are going for 18 days. I am taking $100 US cash and will get Euros in the airport before I leave. I plan to pay for most things with Euros obtained from debit card withdrawal and larger purchases or nicer dinners with a credit card.
Sound like a good plan? :)

Posted by
5837 posts

4 nights which the host requires in cash.... If you need more than incidental expenses cash, start accumulating the needed amount of cash. If you need a large amount for your "host" 100 EUR bills are an advantage.

ATM accounts commonly have daily withdrawal limits. You can ask your financial institution to temporarily increase the daily limit.

ATM cash machines also have limits. The one at VCE airport maxed out at only 200 EUR.

Having a back up ATM account and card is a good idea if you need cash for your lodging.