Please sign in to post.

Money exchange

Where is the best place and time before my trip to change dollars into euro.

Posted by
47 posts

The best place would be your bank. The best time? I'm not sure what that means. When they are open would be better than when they are closed. ;) Unless you're asking for advice on how to time the exchange rate to get the most favorable rate. If any of us knew the answer to that, we'd be trading currency instead of wasting time on an internet message board. But honestly, I can't really think of a reason to not just use your ATM card to get Euros when you get there. It works just like at home, as pretty much every ATM you'll encounter has an option for "English". Plus that way you're not carrying around all of your cash for your entire vacation, risking theft or loss.

Posted by
23325 posts

We use a local bank - all about the same - expect to pay a premium of 5 to 10%. for about a 100E for walking around money on first day. After that it is the ATM and a debit card - cheapest and most convenient way to obtain local currency - always.

Posted by
224 posts

I just returned from Austria and Italy. I brought no currency with me (dollars, euros, pounds). I used a credit card to buy food and drink in the connecting airports and used an ATM for cash upon arrival at the final destination. I am not saying everyone should do this. BUT, if you can't get currency ahead of time, its no big deal.