Please sign in to post.

Money exchange

In France all Post Offices have ATM's that give the best exchange rates. Is that true also of Italy? Is there a Post Office at Malpensa Airport?

Posted by
7737 posts

I've never heard that about France and I don't believe it's true about Italy. ATMs are everywhere and I believe they all give the same rate, especially if they're affiliated with a bank.

Posted by
831 posts

Donald, The post office ATMs in Italy are called postamats and give the same exchange rate that every other ATM you use will give. This is because the network (Plus - Visa, Cirrus - MasterCard) set the rate.

Posted by
23284 posts

Continue to support the other two. All ATMs using the same network, Plus or Cirrus, give the same exchange rate -- less than 1% about the interbank rate.

Posted by
4535 posts

And no European bank can charge fees for using their ATMs so feel free to pick any bank ATM.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks to ALL, So, I'll just use the first ATM I find.
Ciao, Donald

Posted by
7737 posts

We try to avoid the ATMs that are not connected physically to a bank. Too many stories of card reading scams. But sometimes you don't have a choice.

Posted by
32813 posts

And no European bank can charge fees for using their ATMs so feel free to pick any bank ATM. As far as I am aware that is an urban myth. At the moment most do not but I am not at all certain that there is any EU regulation. There certainly is not one in the UK. We try to avoid the ATMs that are not connected physically to a bank. Too many stories of card reading scams. That may give a false sense of security. Most of the skimmers and readers in the UK have been on machines outside a bank. Anybody using an ATM anywhere should look carefully for anything unusual on the machine and be sure to cover their PIN pad. It has been shown that a tiny pinhole camera is enough for criminals to get the PIN, and they have also used telescopic cameras. Just be careful - same as at home.