Please sign in to post.

Money exchange

We will be flying into Venice, and then traveling around the Northern half of Italy. How should we handle money exchange? Is there a place to exchange American cash for Euro at the airport, or use an ATM to get Euros. We were considering bringing American cash to exchange because we thought there is a charge for using ATMs.

Posted by
20991 posts

You will pay a lot more to exchange USD to EUR in Italy. Get your cash from an ATM. If your bank charges foreign exchange fees and out-of-network fees, open an account elsewhere. Capital One Bank, as well as many others, like most credit unions, don't have these.

Posted by
7053 posts

Is this your first trip overseas? If so, I would recommend doing some homework on your debit and credit cards. Find out exactly what fees they charge so you're not left guessing or surprised. Then read all of Rick's money tips.

Posted by
2389 posts

hey hey arnegund
i would not take american $$$ to europe to get it exchanged at a high percentage cost to you. i get 100E, small bills, here in the states just to have something in my pocket when i get there. then use a ATM (bancomat), not a travelex. it may cost me a few bucks to get them but i'm good with it. Learned my lesson only one time, ATM at airport out of order, others had loooooong lines, bank owned ATM in terminal 7 and you're in terminal 1! also heard power outage at an airport. that's stress i don't need. those euros will get me a taxi, a bite to eat, a train ticket, and i'm a happy traveler/tourist with a smile.
good luck, enjoy, and hope you'll love venice like i did.
look for wine festivals, it's the season. if near panzano in chianti, sept 12-15, the town of impruneta has fun festivity every weekend for the "grape festival"
visittuscany.com (search wine festivals in tuscany) been to a few, you'll love the food, wine, people, dancing, music. carry small euros bills and coins. party till your hearts delight. chhers

Posted by
5154 posts

As a rule, the least expensive way of getting local currency is from an ATM in Venice. However, in my opinion, it's always a good idea to have some local currency in hand when you land. Getting two hundred or so Euros from your local bank will cost you a little more. But it eliminates the hassle of trying to find a machine, the stress of hoping it works (see princess pupule's experience), and doing it all while jet lagged. The small amount it cost to have money in hand when arriving is money well spent. The extra cost relative to the overall cost of the trip is not that much. Just my two Euros worth.