Please sign in to post.

Money Belt?

Visiting Italy in April. I am going to have a bag with me that crosses my chest, in fact I think it's called a cross body bag. At all times my bag will be in literally in front of me. Do you still think I need to wear a money belt???

Posted by
7737 posts

Do you really want to take that chance? Have you heard of an increasing trend where the thief slices open the bottom of the bag while you're carrying it, causing the contents to spill out that are then scooped up by a bunch of kids who then scatter in all different directions? Even if that doesn't happen, do you think you'll ever set that bag down, even for a minute? One unguarded moment could ruin your entire vacation. Is it likely to happen? No. But the way to ensure against it is so easy, and the consequences so dire, that I would never rely on just a bag that I'm carrying. FWIW, I prefer a neck wallet that you wear like a necklace and that tucks inside your top.

Posted by
9100 posts

Yes you do need some sort of money belt type device. There are times when you may have remove the bag, like when passing through security at a museum, or cathedral. Also, if you are packed like sardines on a bus or subway, a pickpocket wouldn't have any problems getting at the contents. It's also not unheard of for some thieves to forcibly remove someones bag....I've actually seen this happen.

Posted by
240 posts

c'mon people...just use common sense. I have lived in Italy, traveled to Italy...and never once did I wear a money belt. If you act like a tourist, you WILL be a target. Keep your head up, walk with a purpose..not everyone will be out to get you.
Charlotte, I think your cross body bag will be fine.

Posted by
9100 posts

"....If you act like a tourist, you WILL be a target..... Exactly:) It's kind of hard to visit museums, cathedrals, train stations and other sites without acting like a tourist:) Wherever tourists congregate thieves will be at work. Best to be prepared.

Posted by
833 posts

Whether you have one or not, it is always wise to be most cautious in crowded areas and in areas where there are a lot of tourists. Last summer I studied in Italy, and my group visited Rome, Florence and Venice visiting museums and such. I never used a money belt, and most of my friends stopped using theirs too because they were tired of having to visit a bathroom to get into it to retrieve cash during the day (A better alternative is just to keep a small amount of cash in your purse, and then the large amounts and your passport in the money belt) . Simply having your bag in front of your body will not be enough to protect it. If you do want to use it and not wear a money belt, you need to have your hand on it the whole time, especially when you are in crowds. I personally never had a problem, but you do need to be careful. As someone mentioned, thieves like to cut the bottom of the bag. Keep a tight hand on your bag the whole time, be aware of people around you. Do not make yourself look like a target (even if it's clear you're a tourist, you still do not want to just stand there reading a map in the open or look distracted or worried). It's not a must to wear a money belt, but if you choose not to, you do need to be very very smart about how you carry your purse and how you act.

Posted by
9100 posts

I prefer to travel not having to worry about who might be targeting me, thinking about where it is safe to pull out my map or guidebook, or being concerned if I'm "blending" in enough. A money belt gives me the freedom to simply enjoy the surroundings and the sites knowing that whatever I'm carrying in my pockets I can afford to loose, and it won't ruin my trip. Also, if people are constantly going to the restrooms to pull out cash, they are not using it properly.

Posted by
1976 posts

Absolutely wear it. Pickpockets are so good partly because they know exactly how to distract their targets. When I was in Rome, a group of people came up to me and my friends. They were carrying a baby. We knew about this trick so we didn't let them get close to us and one of my friends started shouting, "Get away! Get away!" to attract attention. They left without incident. We did know the trick but I'm still glad I wore my moneybelt.

Posted by
32206 posts

Charlotte, I figure it's good "insurance" (using the "better safe than sorry" principle). One of my former colleagues had a "substantial amount of money" taken from a zippered pocket on the front of his pants while on the Metro in Rome. He didn't notice a thing at the time of the theft. Unless you're using a PacSafe "cross-body" pouch that can be locked, I still think it would be a good idea to use a Money Belt to secure the most valuable documents (credit cards, Passport). Happy travels!

Posted by
3696 posts

Personal preference...never worn one and probably never will... I do however have a neck wallet that I keep tied to my small purse that crosses over my shoulder. If I am feeling a bit uncomfortable I will put the neck wallet around my neck and under my top.. .but that has really only happened at a few markets in Mexico and Guatemala, otherwise it just stays inside my purse. In Europe I try to live like the locals...purse and all. I have traveled to Europe numerous times with lots of people and none of the women have used a money belt. Maybe better for a man instead of putting stuff in their pocket, or they could get a man-purse. Also...please explain to me how a woman gets the money out of her money belt while wearing a dress and not going into the bathroom??? We don't all wear shirts and khakis while traveling.

Posted by
10221 posts

The point of a money belt is for "deep storage" of your passport and large amounts of money, etc. You shouldn't have to access it during the day. You should keep your days worth of money in your purse, wallet, pocket or the place of your choice. I use a cross body bag and keep my hand on it. That did not stop someone from taking my wallet out of it on a VERY crowded train in Paris. I wish I could say that they didn't get much, but sadly they got almost everything...debit cards, credit card, drivers license... We were on our way to the airport so it was not a major inconvenience. Luckily I had the passports in something around my neck and under my jacket. If it had happened earlier in the trip it would have been a big problem. I don't particularly enjoy wearing a money belt and my husband doesn't mind carrying my passport. I now have a wallet that I can clip into my cross body purse, so it is not easily taken. I also bought an around the neck type money belt, but I did not wear it that way. I tried it around the neck and also cross body, but the cord still showed. I ended up shortening the cord up and wearing it over one shoulder. I pinned the cord to my bra so it wouldn't slip. It then just hangs to my side. I find that to be more comfortable than the other methods. We have every type of money belt, and my husband prefers the type that has a loop that goes over his belt and hangs inside his pants. I think it would work without a belt if you pin it inside. Experiment with various styles until you find what works for you. There is always a first time to be a victim of crime. Best to minimize the chance that it will be your turn!

Posted by
2788 posts

So many posts from folks who do not use a money belt for whatever reason - so few posts from folks who did not use a money belt and got ripped off. Do I think for a moment that folks who get ripped off are too embarrassed to post about it?
You bet! As Andrea (sp?) posted, a money belt is not intended to be accessed numerous times during the day. It should carry those things that you do not want to loose like passport, credit cards, major money, itinerary, emergency contact information, etc. Daily spending money should be carried elsewhere, in my upper shirt zippered pocket in my case. My wife says she has no purses that she want to loose to thieves so she leaves them all at home. Happy travels.

Posted by
1976 posts

Terry kathryn - I don't wear dresses but I also don't reach into my pants and pull the moneybelt out and unzip it in public. If I'm getting low on cash one evening, the next morning I go into the bathroom at the place where I'm having breakfast and take out my ATM card. After I complete the transaction, I go into the bathroom again and put the card and extra cash in the moneybelt.

Posted by
4407 posts

If you need to access your passport while wearing a dress...wear a skirt. Or, a neck pouch. I'd LOVE to wear white pants on a European vacation someday, but that's not very practical...if I wanted to wear a dress, I'd take a skirt instead. I've done a good job so far in my life NOT flashing the unsuspecting ;-) Now, if I were leaving the Pisa airport, getting a car, and driving around a bunch of tiny villages...I might not be so religious about my moneybelt. Probably would, though. But, most travelers are using public transport, going to 'tourist attractions', sitting in sidewalk cafes with lots of foot traffic, etc. Prime targets. And some make themselves EASY targets. I wish that everybody who has admitted (and there's been more than a few) - on THIS Helpline - that they stared into the eyes of a pickpocket on a bus/train/metro while their purse/messenger bag was being rifled right before their eyes and THEY HAD NO IDEA would magically pop up just about now. They're THAT good. With a few exceptions, I haven't been in a situation where something could have happened to my 'good stuff'. BUT, most people don't wake up and plan, 'hey, I'm going to take an incredibly packed bus to the Vatican today - I'll be exchanging air with a well-dressed man as he picks my pocket!', or, 'At lunch, I'll be so engrossed watching a young woman strip down to her underwear that I'll be completely unaware (until it's too late) of that kid grabbing my messenger bag OFF of me while I'm eating at the sidewalk cafe - and running down the sidewalk, never to be seen again...'. Just not my idea of a great vacation.

Posted by
23267 posts

I find these discussions about money belt get a little silly after about five postings especially from those who never use a money belt and never have a problem. The fact that you never had problem proves nothing. I posted the story before about a good friend who laughed at our "fixation" on money belts. He had been to Europe four times, always carried everything in a front pocket, and never had a problem. After all how could anyone get anything out of his front pocket without his knowledge. On his fifth trip, someone got everything -- all his money, credit cards, passport -- everything. And he was correct. He knew when the pickpocket got it, but he just couldn't do anything about it except watch him run away. I know when I wear a money belt everything in there is absolutely safe. And I am pleased to see others that do not use money belts because it adds a degree of safety for me as they will more likely be the target instead of myself.

Posted by
244 posts

Money Belts are like Seat Belts. You don't need to wear a seat belt all the time, only when you're going to be in an accident. You don't need to wear a money belt all the time, only when you're going to be targeted by a pro. The problem is, you don't know when you're going to be in an accident or when you're going to be targeted by a pro. You only need to wear a money belt when you need it. When you need it, you really need it.

Posted by
85 posts

Both my husband and I always wear moneybelts on all our trips the kind with an elastic waistband so it doesn't bind when you sit, move, etc., with the pouch in front. We slip our passports into small plastic zip bags to guard against perspiration. Our teenage daughter disliked wearing hers in the front but was happy wearing it in the small of her back. We witnessed a pickpocket attempt in crowded Venice. Fortunately for the victim, the thief had slippery fingers and dropped his wallet on the ground in front of him. The thief's accomplice (who had been walking in front and "stopped short" in order to cause a collision with the thief in the back), was long gone by the time any of us realized what had happened. The thief incriminated himself by saying, "It wasn't me!" when the victim suddenly noticed his wallet on the ground. Needless to say, we were all glad we had our passports, extra cash, and credit cards secure in our moneybelts.

Posted by
37 posts

I was wondering why so many mention carrying their passports in their moneybelts? Do you feel it's necessary to have your passport with you at all times? I usually leave mine at the front desk of the Hotel or lock it in my suitcase in my room (or even the room safe) I do carry my drivers license for ID and ATM card in a secure place (I wear an elastic knee brace with a pocket) I was also wondering why wearing white pants is such a bad idea when on vacation in Europe? Is it because I'll stand out as a tourist or just because they show dirt so easily? I do believe in being careful when traveling and think taking the proper precautions whether in the States or abroad is always a smart idea. By the way I love my Travelon cross the body bag for camera, hairbrush, maps and pocket cash.

Posted by
90 posts

Wear the money belt... those pickpockets are very good at what they do. My husband wore one with great reluctance and just put money for the day (no credit cards) in a wallet in his front pocket. He was pickpocketed on a bus to the train station in Rome. He lost $100 euros and it put a damper on the day but we didn't have to delay our trip because of a lost passport, etc. We were pretty sure we knew who it was but he never felt them lifting the wallet. The funny part is after that incident we became pretty aware and could spot them. They look just like everyone else but as the guy said in Florence when we were telling them about it - "they like to play closey closey with you".

Posted by
253 posts

From past experiences (I have been ripped off several times and attempts at being ripped off even more), I can tell you at least based on what works for me, what to do: 1 - Accept the fact that these thieves are better at stealing then you ever will be at protecting your property. They will distract you by working in concert; they will crowd you on packed buses and trains as they steal your supposedly safe wallet; they will drive by you on a Vespa as you sit at an outside cafe with your day pack on the table in front of you; they will swarm you begging for a handout as one takes whatever they can snatch. 2 - While it can be practically impossible to NOT act like a tourist, you can make yourself less of a target then the "other" tourists around you. Thieves target weakness and they target easy marks. Since I tend to stand out even in crowds, I take it for granted they look at me first and I am usually right. Also, families are prime targets, especially if the kids are fussing. Thieves just love distracted marks in crowded places. 3 - Completely relying on the safety net of a money belt is a mistake. I had a Rick Steve's money belt stolen from around my neck at the Roman Forum without knowing it happened. Embarassing, but I learned not to carry the thing with me at all times. Thieves read the same travel books as you do. I lock mine in my backpack/suitcase left in the hotel. So far, that has worked, but I also move it around a bit and carry it only if necessary. 4 - I wear a shirt with a zippered pocket in front when I know I will be in more hazardous places, where my day wallet goes, then put a full Kleenex packet in my back pocket, which I check periodically, as thieves watch for this. The shirt is a bit large so the wallet is not obvious. On crowded metros and such, I lean against the wallet at all times, inconspicuously. 5 - Be alert regarding the people around you.

Posted by
130 posts

I'm with Susan... my husband and I travel with money belts, but on day excursions, we leave them in the safe in our room, and just bring enough money for the day.
In travelling, we wear the money belts (train or plane)

Posted by
166 posts

Another vote for only taking just what you need for the day. Leave passports etc. in the room safe. Don't take all your credit cards with you at once, so you have a backup in case they're stolen or lost. Don't take all your money with you either. Simple common sense risk reduction and situational awareness may be far more important. Thieves go for the easiest most valuable targets, so don't be one. Make it hard to lose everything important at once by dividing it up. If it's easiest for you to reduce risk by using a moneybelt, get one -- but don't stuff it with everything valuable, which increases risk. If you don't want a moneybelt, you can achieve the same outcome without one, but you do have to take precautions. That, I think, may be the point of those who don't use moneybelts and have the temerity to say so here. Oh, and this is risk reduction not risk elimination. If the thief is determined, moneybelt or not, they can still steal your stuff.

Posted by
7 posts

I use a neck wallet that I wear tucked into the side of my bra (under my arm) with the cord looped securely around my bra strap (at front). It's easy to access if needed but almost impossible to grab without a serious groping. I don't carry passport etc unless it's a travel day or I'm staying in a hostel.

Posted by
7 posts

I use a neck wallet that I wear tucked into the side of my bra (under my arm) with the cord looped securely around my bra strap (at front). It's easy to access if needed but almost impossible to grab without a serious groping. I don't carry passport etc unless it's a travel day or I'm staying in a hostel.

Posted by
361 posts

For me a passport wallet in my front pocket with my hand in THAT pocket works well. Money belts are cumbersome in that if you need to pull out a credit card or cash you have to get under your clothes to get at it.

Posted by
32206 posts

One comment to add to Frank's comments about "using Money Belts improperly". On a visit to Stresa a year or so ago, I noticed a group of 20-something travellers from the U.S. who were ALL wearing their Money Belts externally, positioned about the mid-point of their torso. I briefly considered having a word with them, but unfortunately didn't. In hindsight I should have snapped a photo, as it would have been a good example of what NOT to do when travelling. Cheers!

Posted by
34 posts

I don't want to hijack this thread but regarding a money belt, I will be on a 2 week guided bus tour traveling around the around whole country. Since we will all be together, in a group is a money belt still recommended? I'm one of those who has never used one but hearing about the pick-pockets in Italy has raised an eyebrow! Wendy

Posted by
10221 posts

"I wish that everybody who has admitted (and there's been more than a few) - on THIS Helpline - that they stared into the eyes of a pickpocket on a bus/train/metro while their purse/messenger bag was being rifled right before their eyes and THEY HAD NO IDEA would magically pop up just about now. They're THAT good." This is exactly what happened to me!!

Posted by
23267 posts

Yes, because tour groups tend to draw more attention unless of course you always stand in the middle of your group. For the above comment about money belts being had to access - THAT IS THE WHOLE IDEA If it is hard to you to get to it, then it is hard for someone else. That is always the test if you can easily access your cash, then that means someone else can easily access the same cash. In my opinion the people who complain about difficulty using a money belt are the ones who are using it improperly . You should NEVER had a need to access a money belt in public. A small amount of daily cash and maybe a credit card should be carried separate from everything else that is buried in the money belt.

Posted by
4 posts

My husband and I spent a month last Sept/Oct travelling through Italy and we had both purchased Rick's moneybelts. We packed them with us but did not feel the need to use them. Just use common sense as you do at home. We found that zippering our valuable contents in the inner compartment of Ricks Civita Day Pack was secure enough for our documents so perhaps doing the same in your body bag will also work for you. Ciao! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did and will again as we are going back again this fall.

Posted by
24 posts

Yes, wear a money belt to hold your big bills, ATM card, passport, and anything else of high value. It's much safer and you won't have to worry about it.

Posted by
253 posts

I seem to have either personnally experienced or witnessed more then my share of ripoffs and scams in Italy. (But you also might notice, I go back constantly). There is another way that scam artists try to separate you from your cash. We took a ferry from Palermo, Sicily to Naples. (Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!). On the ferry, we had lunch at their cafeteria on board. I paid with a crisp, new ATM E50.00 bill, for a E15.00 lunch and probably acted like I was distracted as I talked with my wife as I handed the cashier the bill. The cashier handed a messed up, wrinkled E50.00 note back to me and told me he could not accept "my" bill because it was CONTERFEIT! Since I knew the bills I had on me were straight out of an ATM, the bill he gave back to me was not the one I handed him and told him so. He insisted I that give him another payment and as I was holding up the line, I initially complied. This was what he counted on. I then demanded to see a manager, who came by, confirmed the bill I was holding was a counterfeit E50.00. When I explained that this bill could not have come out of any ATM machine and that if the bill was obviously counterfeit, no bank would have put it back into a machine, he agreed with me and took care of the problem. So be aware of this little game too.