Please sign in to post.

Money

I'm heading to Italy for about 16 days in October. I've unfortunately had some things arise over the last few weeks that were out of my control but ate up all of my trip money. I refuse to cancel my trip and can live without souvenirs, but I'm hoping to be able to do things on the cheap. Hotels are paid for as are the trains, so the money is really about food and incidentals.

Does anyone think I can manage cheaply? Advice?

Posted by
56 posts

As usual, everyone is so helpful! Thanks a bunch!

Linda, I'm heading to Italy alone and will be all over; Venice, Florence, Rome, the CT, and Sorrento. I love to walk around and immerse myself in the local culture so I should definitely be ok in terms of transportation; if need be, I'd take a bus and usually avoid cabs due to cost. I'm also planning to bring some protein bars and trail mix so I have something to snack on without having to buy something every time I'm hungry. Gelato is a must, I don't care how much it costs! ;)

Posted by
12 posts

I'd go religious on Rick Steves tips about eating. I've been a big fan of doing the picnic thing and buying meats and cheeses. Are you planning on going to museums? If you cut out the ones that charge, you may end up saving quite a few dollers there. Of course, many are free, and use Rick's audio tours if you are able to. Based on the other thread about his tours, his audio tours are extremely valuable. Best of luck! It'll be an enjoyable experience by simply being there I'm sure.

Posted by
56 posts

That's pretty much my plan. I know I can eat cheaply, especially because I'm not into sitting down for a 3-5 course meal to begin with. I would rather grab a panini or a pizza and be on my way. I was also planning to buy some groceries in a local market and make my own meals to keep costs down as well.

Thanks for the input!

Posted by
1317 posts

Buy a half-liter bottle of water and once you finish it, refill it for free at the fountains rather than buying any drinks.

In Italy, museums tend to cost and churches are free, so choose your sight-seeing wisely.

Space your meals out so that instead of three a day, you can make do on two. Breakfasts are not very generous in Italy, but a properly timed gelato or a protein bar you bring from home can probably carry you into the early part of the afternoon.

Depending on where you are going, walk rather than take cabs or public transportation.

It's definitely do-able and it's worth it just to be in Italy. :-)

Posted by
10344 posts

Eating in "sit down/table cloth" type restaurants in Italy is expensive, avoid this and you'll save lots of euros. There are alternatives to sit down restaurants.Here are 85 more tips to saving money on your Europe trip:85 ways to save money on your tripAnd here are Rick's tips:Rick's Money Saving TipsRick has more tips, click Travel Tips(above) to read em.

Posted by
103 posts

Where in Italy are you going? In Rome, try to avoid taking cabs - they can really add up. The bus in Rome is only 1 euro and walking is free and the real way to have a cultural immersion. Florence is extra, extra easy to walk and I found their public buses to be too confusing. Also, it's cheaper to have a capuccino while stading at the counter than sitting at the cafe table. Gelato is really inexpensive, super delicious and filling. You can walk while you eat it. Do you have a travel companion? When we did eat in restaurants we shared two courses (not five) which gave us each a chance to try different foods and kept the bill reasonable. Portions are almost always enough for two.

Posted by
261 posts

We travelled with 2 teenagers, so budgeting our food was a must! Drink water, not sodas. Wine is even cheaper!If you buy water, do it at a market (alimentaria or fruitteria), it will be less than 1E for a 1.5l bottle. We bought bread and cheese the night before to eat for breakfast. Many places sell bread by the kilo, so you only have to buy what you will eat. A late afternoon gelato (1-2E) not only staves off the munchies, it also means that most nights a plate of pasta (8-10E) was plenty of dinner. Check into getting a Roma pass in Rome. It will save you if you go to more than 2 attractions and it gives you free subway and bus service.

Posted by
466 posts

16 days is a long time if you don't have any money? How much will you have by trip time? Walking is going to save money and can be very interesting because by walking, you will run into things that you may not have if you had taken a cab or train. Pizza can be cheap at stand up pizza places.

Posted by
56 posts

Mark, I should have about 500-700 Euros; somewhere between 40 & 50 Euros per day. I think I will be ok because like I said, I enjoy walking, don't need souvenirs (ok, maybe one or two) and can eat cheaply. Plus, all of my hotels provide breakfast but I will also be bringing protein bars and snacks, just in case. I just want to see Italy and immerse myself in the culture.

Posted by
192 posts

You will be able to easily manage. My wife and I have been going to Italy for years and have been able to eat well on a budget of 100 Euros per day (50 each). And we eat at least one restaurant meal a day. There are plenty of delis and markets. The food will be better and cheaper at restaurants a block or two away from the tourist sights. Look for restaurants that have the menu in Italian and locals at the tables. Menus are posted outside so you won't be surprised once inside.

Posted by
466 posts

Shari: You said you can live without souvenirs (maybe one or two). If you are going to buy something, buy something that you really like and would like to have forever and display in your house. This is what I do when I travel. Buy a really nice hand painted ceramic bowl or vase, a nice oil and vinegar set etc. Have fun you'lol do fine