Please sign in to post.

Money

I heard that when you go to Europe or wherever, that you should double whatever money that you bring. I dont have that luxury. So is $1500 for 2 weeks in Italy enough?

Posted by
3551 posts

Since you are not specific about what country, your style of travel or if you are traveling alone. Below are some generalities.
Some of Europe can be done on about $85 / day easily for lodging when shared at 2 star or less hotels or B&B's and brfast incl, picnic-type meals, including some local train/bus transport, your museum entries. This doesn't incl airfare or any travel to areas as UK, Ireland, Switzerland or Scandanavian countries. Also limit your travel distances as train travel for ie. in France is getting very expensive.Ho[pe this helps alittle. Read Ricks guidebks carefully he is terrific and recom budget options.

Posted by
221 posts

I go by the rule of thumb to plan $100 USD per day per person for mass transportation, lodging and meals and basic sightseeing costs. So multiply that times how many days and then just to be safe I throw in a couple extra hundred dollars for splurges. some days you'll spend more and some days you'll spend less. take a credit card for emergencies or splurges. don't spend a lot of money buying souveniers for the folks back home, the street markets have wonderful, lightweight affordable gifts if you want to shop. have fun, be flexible and go with the flow. you'll do great.

Posted by
19 posts

I thought it was obvious when i put my question in "to the boot." If not I'm going to italy.

Posted by
842 posts

Trung,

Don't "bring" any money! Use an ATM card to withdraw any Euros that you may need. Your ATM/debit card will work at ANY town in Europe.

Take a VISA/ Mastercard, etc. and use it for meals, rooms, and large purchases. Your VISA can help you if you don't budget properly.

$1500 for 14 days is going to require budgeting, and planning, but it can be done. But again, if you don't do some really good planning, you could fall short.

Posted by
19 posts

Yeah that money is on my Atm Debit card. I dont have any credit cards.

Posted by
423 posts

Trung, you don't say whether you are traveling alone, if this budget includes paying for hotels and what time of year you are going. These are factors needed, before answering in a helpful way.