Please sign in to post.

Monastery Stays Rome and Florence February 2024

Dear travellers,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Rome and Florence from Edmonton Canada. I stayed in Monastery Stays over 12 years ago and was happy with the experience.

I am seeing advice on specific Monastery Stays properties in Florence and Rome. I also would like to know if you have travelled in February to Florence and Rome and what your experience was regarding the weather, limited hours of museums or cafes. Also, what are your favourite gems and hidden gems in both Florence and Rome. I have visited some of the biggies years ago, but would love to hear your ideas.

I love architecture and food markets. I am gluten free, so any tips on great place that serve GF meals is much appreciated.

TIA.

Posted by
27374 posts

I spent 10 days in Rome in February of this year. I was lucky with the weather, with the daily high temperatures getting well into the 50s F. However, be aware that it can be in the 30s until very late in the morning or even noon, so you'll start out early each day wearing layers and then (if you're lucky) disrobe as the day goes on.

Some cafes in smaller museums were not operating, but I don't know whether that was a typical seasonal situation or the lingering effects of COVID. I observed no problems with sights themselves, but it's common to find separate schedules for winter and summer, so you should check operating hours on line in December to be sure you're working with current information.

Pre-book anymore these attractions you want to see: Colosseum, Vatican Museums, Borghese Gallery, Domus Aurea. Tickets for San Clemente cannot be purchased at the church, but you can get them online just a day or two ahead, unless something has changed recently.

Restaurants and cafes were up and running. You'll have no issue there.

I have a relatively comprehensive sightseeing list I put together for my trip that I'll be glad to share, but I'm in Europe right now and won't return home till sometime in October. If you send me a private message on this forum in late October, giving me your email address, I'll be happy to send my notes to you if you think they'll help.

If you like Art Nouveau architecture, I highly recommend the Quartiere Coppede.

Posted by
2470 posts

It wasn’t in Feb. but I stayed at Casa per Ferie …. Borgo Pinti in Florence. Near Duomo. quiet street. The cabbie said it was the best location in Florence.

Posted by
796 posts

Thanks for your replies and recommendations.

Posted by
86 posts

In May 2022 I stayed at the Casa per Ferie Santa Elisabetta in Florence and the Casa de Santa Brigida in Rome. Both accommodations were basic, in safe areas and clean. Bed sizes at both were twins and a larger bed could be provided for a marital booking? Elisabetta had a curfew, but that didn't affect me and the location was close to the main sights and the train station. Breakfast was not included there. There was a nice central courtyard with many vines, flowers and shrubs. They could do laundry, but had no dryers (a laundromat was fairly close by for drying.). Santa Brigida was adjacent to Campo de Fiori and had no curfew. The included breakfast was great. The building had a rooftop terrace that overlooked the Campo. The location was a bus ride away from most central Rome sights and the bus stops were 3 short blocks away. This monastery had a nice small church adjacent. Both monasteries are recommended by Rick Steves and may be popular, so book ahead? Great values for reasonable accommodation.

Posted by
4449 posts

We stayed at Il Rosario in 2008 and it was a great location, not far from the Colosseum.

Posted by
796 posts

Thanks for the feedback. I now have Ricks book and am making plans. So many choices of Monastery Stays.