Please sign in to post.

Monastery Stays

Does anyone have any good information on how to book monastery and convent stays? If you've done it before, has it been a good experience?

Has anyone used the website "Monastery Stays"? If so, was it a reliable site?

Thanks for any info you have.

Posted by
1078 posts

Yes, do it all the time. I prefer santasusanna.org--go the website, click on coming to Rome and the list unfurls. This trip staying at a convent just outside of Assisi for 60Euros and in Rome for 95. You can look at Tripadvisor for ratings of locations on both sites.
Monasterystays is easier to book; you have to contact the individual locations on santasusanna and sometimes it requires faxing instead of e-mail. Also, some don't seem to check their e-mail as avidly as we here do, so it might take a couple of days to get a reply.

Posted by
187 posts

Janel,
I have booked a convent for 4 of us in May, Villa Rosa. I looked at Monastery Stays to get info but booked directly with the convent & booking directly is much cheaper. But to answer your question the Monastery Stays website is realiable.

Posted by
187 posts

Janel, I will add I picked Villa Rosa because English is spoken & there is no curfew. Emails were answered promptly. They don't accept credit cards & I had to send the first night's payment as a deposit but they accepted my personal check in dollars. Our cost is 110euros nightly for a 4 bedded room. Really cheap considering we will be splitting the cost 4 ways.