Please sign in to post.

Milan to Zermatt

We are traveling to Milan at the end of September and my husband & I are looking into a day trip to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn.
We are looking into options for this trip. Looking into train or renting a car. Any insights would be appreciated

Posted by
6 posts

I would say it is a bit long for a day trip. We took the train and required one or two train switches. Even with a car, you'll have to jump on a train to get into town so might be longer with train schedules and whatnot as well.

With that said, I'd would highly recommend a few nights if you've got time. If you're into hiking/the outdoors, there is lift/gondola service that will take you to great trails where you can hike to different hamlets and restaurants.

Posted by
20238 posts

3 3/4 hours now by the fastest train route. Imagine the disappointment when you arrive and find that a cloud bank has built up over the mountain and you can't see a thing.

You could rent a car and drive about 2 1/2 hours to Cervinia and maybe see it from the Italian side, but it is not that remarkable a mountain from that side. It is just not the classic view from Zermatt.

Posted by
1 posts

I have an additional question about Milan to Zermatt. I am hoping to travel on a Thursday from Milan 18:30 to Zermatt and then back to Milan the next day Friday. Arriving anytime before 22;00 in Milan. Is this possible?