Please sign in to post.

Milan to Venice Train

Hi: We will be arriving at Milan Airport at 12.15. We plan to go to Venice on the same day using the express. I gather we will be out by 2.00 from customs/ immigration/baggage and then catch the train to Milan Central and reach by 3.00 to 3.30. We would like to book and reserve the 4.00 PM from Milan to Venice in the express. It would be good to know if that would be enough time for us to make the 4PM train. or should we just wait to get off at Milan airport to do the reservation? Would we get the reservation if we do it from Milan airport.

Posted by
20254 posts

But you cannot guarantee you will actually arrive at 12:15. That is up to the airline, weather, etc. How many flights have you taken where you arrived exactly on time?
When you reach the airport train station, there is a Trenitalia ticket machine there. After you have your tickets to Milano Centrale, try to buy your tickets to Venice from the ticket machine. Figure 2 hours from the current time is safe to reserve a departure. Follow the instructions in this tutorial: If that works, you're on your way.
http://europeforvisitors.com/rome/transportation/trenitalia-ticket-machines.htm
If that doesn't work, go to Milano Centrale and buy at the window.

Posted by
32220 posts

If you buy tickets in advance for the train to Venice and you miss the train, the tickets will be worthless and you'll have to buy more at full price. The easiest solution is to buy your tickets for the Milan - Venice trip at the same time as you buy your tickets for the Malpensa Express. This method also minimizes wasted time after a long international flight.

Posted by
7175 posts

This perhaps the most common question on the Italy pages - arriving at Malpensa and then taking an onward train. Personally I would pay the extra cost on the day at the station, rather than risk losing a reservation because of flight delays.

Posted by
11613 posts

It's tempting to grab that €9 fare from Milano to Venezia, but if you miss that train, you have to buy another ticket at full price. It's up to you. Your plane could be on time, a few minutes late, or hours late.

I would buy the cheap tickets but spend the first night in Milano.

Posted by
20254 posts

If you can get a 9 euro fare, I'd take it, but maybe leave a extra time and book the 4:35 pm. At that price, its worth the gamble, but 9 euro fares disappear quickly. They are pretty much gone shortly after they go on sale. Right now, I am seeing 9 euro fares midweek after October 12.