Please sign in to post.

Milan to St.Moritz?

Me and my girlfriend are visiting Milan in a couple weeks. We want to travel to St. Moritz and spend the day there. Is renting a car advisable? Is it ski season in St. Moritz yet? What are the best things to do in St. Moritz at the end of November?
Thanks for the help.

Posted by
27608 posts

You might research St. Moritz a bit. I've read in several different places that it's not all that attractive a town--though the skiing is good at the right time of year. I'd consider Pontresina instead if you're going to sightsee rather than to ski

Posted by
20905 posts

I would be very surprised if the ski slopes were open in St Moritz 2 weeks from now.

Posted by
7255 posts

It's not ski season yet, besides a single (nice) run up on Diavolezza - open Wed and Sat-Sun only.
The train is probably a better choice, as it is very scenic and it lets both people enjoy the scenery.
And I agree that there is little to do in St Moritz itself, especially in late November (sleepy season), so I would turn around in Pontresina.

Posted by
11719 posts

You familiar/comfortable driving on mountain roads in wintry conditions?

Weather report shows daytime temps around/just above freezing and 1-3 inches of snow fall per day this past week.-- at St Moritz https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=st+moritz+weather

Found historical record that shows ski season opens as early as Oct 17 and as late as Dec 1.
https://www.snowpak.com/switzerland/st-moritz/opening-dates

Depending on weather and road conditions you could spend 7-8 hrs driving and probably a good part of you drive back to Milan would be after sunset.

There are probably better ways to spend a day.

Posted by
1630 posts

If you do the trip by train, you will have just a short time in St. Moritz; by car it is slightly faster, but still driving will take the better part of the day. The road between Chiavenna and St. Moritz is not difficult but quite narrow in some places (for example, crossing the tiny villages) and the last section is quite steep. The Maloja pass has the unusual feature of being steep on a side and almost flat on the other. The tiny villages have another unusual feature, they were the shelter of Italian language protestants, so if you came there in the 17th or 18th centuries, you would have found all of them busy printing Bibles :-)