Please sign in to post.

Milan to Malpensa

We leave MXP (Air Canada) on a Nov. Sat. around 12:15 PM and will have cheese and vinegar and new clothes so assume we need to declare. I will use my US passport to depart (vs my EU). We will be checking bags. We all have US Global Entry which I believe is irrelevant in Europe. What is the recommended time to arrive at the airport? Any suggestions, things to do re: VAT and how to expedite and create an efficient process?

Posted by
6897 posts

There is no requirement for any export declaration, you do not automatically pass through customs in your way out of the country, but only once you arrive in the US. You will need to actively seek out the customs office for VAT refund processing, I do not know where it is at Malpensa (never done such a thing, being an EU resident). Make sure that your purchases meet the requirements (155€ minimum purchase in a single store, plus special forms & invoices provided by the store).
And you should use your EU passport both to enter and to leave the country (and the US one to leave and enter the USA).

Posted by
8377 posts

Taking the train to the airport is likely your best choice. It is a regional train so advance purchase is not necessary. Plan 1 hour for the train and arrive at the airport 2.5 hours before your scheduled flight. I’ve never purchased enough to worry about a VAT refund, so I am no help there on the refund process.

You won’t worry about customs until your arrival in the United States.

While having global entry is irrelevant overseas, having a passport that works at e gates is not. I find I am able to use my US passport in e gates and this speeds the process.

Posted by
8377 posts

E gates are electronic passport control gates. They work with the chip embedded in your passport. You put your passport picture face down on a scanner. Then you step forward and face a camera for facial recognition. A gate then opens and you are through passport control. Entire process takes about 30 seconds.

Posted by
15003 posts

You cannot leave the EU with a different passport from which you entered. If you entered with the EU passport you must exit with the EU passport. If you try to leave with the U.S passport, the immigration officer will look for the enter stamp. If no enter stamp, you could get be delayed and miss your flight. They will want to know why you are using two different passports.

If you are flying via Canada and on to the U.S., you will go through U.S. immigration and customs in Canada before boarding your flight to the U.S. Global Entry is available there. You must declare your food items. Even if you are under the limit, they must be declared going through U.S customs. If you don't, and they are found, not only could you get fined but you could lose Global Entry.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/clearing-cbp/bringing-agricultural-products-united-states