Please sign in to post.

Milan to Cinque Terre

We will be in Milan for 2 days in October on our way to Sicily; we are considering seeing Cinque Terre region, but not sure that 1.5 day is enough to do so. We are arriving to Milan on Saturday in PM and have flight from Milan to Palermo on Monday PM.
Question: should we just stay and see Milan (since we have never been there) or spend our time in Cinque Terre and come back to Milan just on time for our flight?
Thank you.

Posted by
5687 posts

If you are not rookie travelers, I suggest "winging it" - make your decision near the last minute, weather-permitting. Do some planning for different options, know the transportation options. Have an internet device from which to make quick hotel reservations.

If it's rainy, I definitely wouldn't go to the Cinque Terre. But if the weather is beautiful? Maybe. It's still a long way to go back and forth in a short time. Figure out how long it would take to get there and back - up to you to decide if that works for you.

You could get to a number of other places by direct train from Milan more quickly if you want to see somewhere else. E.g. Turin - ever been there? Nice town, not very touristy. Quick direct trains from Milan. Even in the rain, there are museums, etc.

Milan is OK, but it wasn't my favorite town, personally.

Posted by
11027 posts

Varenna on Lake Como would be a lot closer than CT and give you a 'watersedge' experience, IF the weather is nice.