Please sign in to post.

MIlan & The Last Supper

I will be in Milan the end of June and hope to see the Last Supper. I keep calling (as advised in RS book) and get through to press 2 or English, but after waiting a few minutes, get cut off. The skip the line tours I've seen online are 45+ Euros which is too steep for my pockets (both Veditalia and city tours). Anyone have any other ideas or recommendations?
Grazie,
Karen

Posted by
7900 posts

That is usually booked months in advance.
If you know anyone rich and powerful in Italy contact them then you might have a chance.

Posted by
11613 posts

You can get tickets through a broker for the Cenacolo (room that the painting is in) only for a 100% markup, no city tour or wealthy/powerful contact needed. I use Select Italy often, they are based in the US, and will email you a voucher within minutes. You take the voucher to the ticket window and soon you will be standing in front of Leonardo's masterpiece.

Your time is worth something, too.

Posted by
11212 posts

When my daughter went to Italy last year, she had started months ahead of time trying to get tickets. No luck

When she was in Milan she walked up to the window, and it turned out they had the 2 she needed. Whether it was a cancellation or they hold a few for walk up is unknown.

When I was a few years back when I went the check-in desk had no record of our reservation. Fortunately I had a copy of the confirming email, and we got to go in 45 minutes early, as they had space available.

No guarantee, but there is a possibility you may get in, as a walk up

Posted by
358 posts

We had missed it in 2015, but were determined to make it this year. No luck with tickets until we bit the bullet and bought tickets through Viator. I think they use http://www.zaniviaggi.com/cms/excursions-milan/54-milan-city-tours.html

But the Leonardo da Vinci Walking Tour of Milan including "The Last Supper" Ticket (2972Leonardo) was more than worth the $150 US for two people. If you just want to see it and don't care about any history or information, the Last Supper tickets would be fine. Our tour guide was a Leonardo expert, loved everything about him, and prepared us for a very short visit . It included a short visit with history at the Pinacoteca Ambrosiana before walking to the church. We could fully appreciate it through her eyes, see the small nuances we wouldn't have seen on our own, and were able to truly appreciate everything The Last Supper has to offer.

If you just want to check it off your list, don't bother with a tour. If you want to appreciate the history, his history and more information, I think it's worth the extra $.

One of the highlights of our trip.

Posted by
1540 posts

I couldn't get tickets when I went a few years ago, so I booked a 1/2 day tour
of Milan with Viator.com
Viator.com

It was a wonderful tour of Milan - places I had missed on previous trips and it included entrance to the Last Supper. After you enter you go into a room with your group. They give you an audio guide to listen to while you are there. The group is then dehumidified in a different room and passes through a door into the room with the Last Supper. Your time there is pretty precise as well, and you are then taken out. I would say about 45 minutes doing the whole process, - but I'm glad I went. I see that Viator offers walking and bus tours of Milan - we took the bus. Well worth it IMHO (I see in posts above that people payed $150 - I know I did not pay more than about $50 for the 1/2 bus tour.)

Posted by
358 posts

Our tour was about $75 US per person and well worth it. We assumed we would never be back and that it would be worth the expense along with the very knowledgeable guide.

Posted by
656 posts

I've bought tickets online twice the past couple of years. One year I had an extra (my sister in law cancelled) and I turned it in at the desk for someone else to use. I used the official site and marked on my calendar when the tickets would go on sale and bought them the first day that they were available.

Posted by
11613 posts

Or, if you use a different recommendation, let us know how that worked out. I hope you get to see it.

Posted by
3 posts

Well.... I've check with the various tours recommended and no luck... all are booked, except the Viator 75 minute ticket and guide book. I'll try that but they don't give you a specific time upfront and the date that is available we will be leaving for CT... hoping it will all work out. Any other places to try?

Posted by
3 posts

Still searching and found a few other options... anyone else have luck with walk up? Any tips on how that might work?