Please sign in to post.

Milan or Rome

Hi everyone!

I’m researching for my first trip to Italy and need advice.

This December, I’m flying into Venice around noon and will be spending some time in Tuscany and a few days in Rome before flying out of Rome. But now I’m wondering if I should do day trips to Rome from Tuscany instead before heading up to Milan and flying out from there. It’s cheaper (surprisingly) and I’d be able to visit to Lake Cuomo. However, I do understand that Rome has so much more to offer than Milan, so I just want to know if it’s worth it to change my departure flight.

My interests are mostly slower-medium paced trip, cuisine and wine, scenery, and some architecture. No guided tours. I’ll be commuting by train and bus, and have 16 days to spend in Italy.

Here’s a snapshot of my current itinerary:
Venice, Tuscany/Florence, cinque terre (I may substitute this for Val d’Orcia), Rome.

I have 16 days to maximize so please let me know how many days I should spend in each location, if there are others you’d add to it, and whether I should depart from Rome or Milan.

Thanks!

Posted by
13 posts

Hi, it’s this December. I just edited my post as well if you could briefly scan it again. Thanks!

Posted by
11185 posts

Lake Como, Cinque Terre and December do not go together well

Posted by
494 posts

And Milano does not come to mind if I am thinking about slow paced and relaxed.
Although I have been the several times due to business commitments, it is never on my list of places to visit otherwise.

Posted by
842 posts

If you want to have a slower-medium paced trip, I would stay in Rome, not visit Rome as a day trip. You could easily spend a week in Rome.

As far as timing goes, this is really up to you, but maybe 3 days in Venice, 4 days in Florence, with a day trip to Siena, 6 days in Rome, which leaves you enough time to add something, Verona or Ravenna (love Ravenna!), or more day trips.

We were in Naples (3 nights), Rome (7 nights) and Florence (3 nights) in early February and it was a nice trip. We could have used one more night in Naples and a couple more nights in Florence, but for the time we had, this allocation worked well.

Do you have the RS Italy guidebook? I think it will help you figure things out, but stay longer than he recommends for a slower paced trip.