Please sign in to post.

Milan lodging

I need some help! I need to find a good place to stay in Milan for 2 nights next September. I have Ricks 2016 Italy guidebook and have gone through his lodging suggestions. I do want to stay near the Duomo or between La Scala and Sforza Castle. Somewhere in that general area. As Rick mentions, these places get booked up! Already gone for next September. Does anyone have any other reccomendation? I would be willing to spend somewhere between $175 and $250. Thank you so much.

Posted by
69 posts

Prices in the central Milan are expensive, so you may have to look further out and take the Metro in to the city center. If you are willing to spend a little more, I suggest the Antica Locanda dei Mercanti at Via San Tomaso 6. This boutique hotel is located between the Duomo and Sforza Castle and is about a 10 minute walk to the direct train to the airport. Great location, amazing service, and wonderful accommodations. We absolutely loved our stay! While in Milan, you should also check out Peck's Deli (near the Duomo and in Rick's book).

Posted by
41 posts

Thank you for your response. I did try to reserve Antica Locanda yesterday. Completely booked as are all of Rick's recommendations for the area. Just hoping someone might have a tip!

Posted by
8511 posts

Are you sure they are booked, or are they just not taking reservations this far in advance? Maybe a convention in town.

Posted by
20254 posts

I recall being in Milan in September 3 years ago and it was the tail end of Fashion Week with lots of events in the area of Sforza Castello, so maybe that has something to do with it. It also maybe too far out for smaller places to take bookings. Look on booking.com to get an idea of the price range.

I see my go-to Milan hotel, the Berna, near Centrale station has higher rates Sept 8&9, and Sept 22&23, usually indicating there is something going on in town those weeks. Still, no more than 153 euro/night for a double room right now, and 128 euro/night normally. Milan is easy to get around on the Metro, so you don't really need to lock yourself into a specific area.

Posted by
14043 posts

I enjoyed a 1-night stay at the Gran Duca di York in Oct 2014. It looks like the prices for 2 are around 152€/night depending on the room type. I also see from their calendar Sept and Oct are both showing full, so I think it is just too early to do reservations with them. August looks open except for 1 day. I would stay here again as I liked the location near the Duomo (was traveling solo) and the people at reception were extremely nice.

http://www.ducadiyork.com/

Posted by
974 posts

another vote for the Berna. Was there again this summer and it is so convenient to jump on the metro/ train and go everywhere. great breakfast and the same lovely staff.

Posted by
5232 posts

Bruce,
I don't know if you've already tried this one.

We enjoyed our stay at 'Palazzo delle Stelline' in October 2014. It's more of a business hotel, but it's very centrally located right across the street from the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, & within walking distance from the Cadorna train Station, the castle & the Duomo.

The hotel was clean with comfortable beds, friendly staff & a delicious buffet breakfast.

Here is their website:http://www.hotelpalazzostelline.it/en/hotel-3-stars-milan-italy/green-oasis-heart-milan-0

Hope this helps!

Posted by
11362 posts

the first time we went to Milano I insisted we stay near the Duomo. Now that I know the city better, we stay at the Hotel Berna and walk (30 minutes-or-so) to the center, or take the very convenient Metro from the corner by the Berna. I can also recommend Hotel Teco as a back up plan.

Posted by
32220 posts

bruce,

You might try London Hotel as it's within walking distance to both the Duomo and Sforza Castle. I was very pleased with the room and service there, but didn't try the breakfast.