Please sign in to post.

Milan hotel suggestions?

Hello, a friend and I are going on the Village Italy tour in April. After the tour finishes in Orta we are going to Milan and would like a hotel recommendation in the city itself, preferably something centrally located. We will stay there for one night. The following day/night we are looking for something by the airport, since we both have early departing flights the next day. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you very much.

Posted by
14042 posts

When I finished the Village Italy tour I stayed at Hotel Duca di York which is near the Duomo. I'll be in Milan for a couple of nights next week and will be staying there again as I liked the closeness to the Duomo.

What day of the week will you be there? Be mindful of the closure days for The Last Supper and other museums.

Posted by
73 posts

Hi, Pam, thank you for your response. We will be in Milan on a Sunday. I looked up the name of the hotel you mentioned and it has gotten wonderful reviews. Thank you for this information! The Last Supper is open for viewing on Sunday, although I understand a ticket must be purchased beforehand. People can buy tickets four months in advance. Do you think it is worth it to see The Last Supper? I read that it has been restored several times so that the colors we see does not necessarily resemble the colors of the original.

Posted by
11214 posts

"The Last Supper". is among my top travel memories. They take 15 or so people in at a time. I have seen it twice. We stayed nearby at Antica Locanda Leonardo with nice garden spaces in the city center.
At Malpensa MXP we have always stayed at Villa Malpensa next to airport because it has a great dining room for the last dinner in Italy before flying out..

Posted by
14042 posts

Well, I’ll tell you if it’s worth it next week!🤣🤣. I am in awe of Leonardo so I’m pretty sure it will be worth it to me, lol.

When I did VI we stayed an extra day in Orta which in retrospect was a poor decision so we got to Milan on a Monday when things were closed.

IF you do decide to go see The Last Supper you do need to book well in advance thru their website. I booked a bit more than 3 months out…I’d been watching their website to see when the dates became available and jumped right on them.

Posted by
6215 posts

We’re booked at the Duca di York first week October and booked for Last Supper

Posted by
17 posts

Another vote for Hotel Duca di York - it is fantastic with wonderful staff

Posted by
118 posts

One more hotel to check out would be the Hotel Spadari Al Duomo. We enjoyed our stay there and would return. It is very close to the Duomo, however it is on a quiet side street.

Posted by
62 posts

I stayed at Hotel Teco which is around the corner on a quiet street from Buenos Aires Boulevard....I stayed there because it was an easy 15-20 flat walk to Milan Centrale...and about 30 minutes from the Duomo...they had a good buffet breakfast as well, I would return!

Posted by
473 posts

There’s supposed to be a discount code for Rick Steves readers at the hotel Duca Di York, has anyone used it know what it is? I tried the one in his Italy book and it didn’t work. Thank you